national tyre offer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

drpau
My Cars:

national tyre offer

Post by drpau »

National tyre have got a buy one get one free offer on tyres at the min , it says "wheels may require valves and balancing, a charge will be made for this service" or something like that, does anyone know how much they charge per tyre? I dont want them to try and pull my pants down for an extra 20 quid or something!
Cheers
paul
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

They only recommend you have new valves and balance, the choice is yours.
Edited for c**p speeling
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Why not call them and find out. Most independents charge about a fiver for a valve and balance near me.
Then ask them to price match on the balance and valve (see their web site), AND - book your fitting through their web site for an extra 10 percent discount.
Don't worry about using their offers against them, they would indeed stiff you on the cost of the balance otherwise.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

The tyres are only cheapy Barum's, £40 for two. Ive got Michelin Energy on the front at the minute but they are close to the tread indicator now and $ is tight at the moment [:(]. Has anyone had Barum tyres before? I'd like to save a bit of money but not if it means Im gonna be driving through walls through no fault of my own[B)] .
If it was on the rear I wouldnt bother with the balancing Dave but they will be on the front, why would you want new valves? Just if youve got a leak.
Cheers for the tip of the web discount arry, Ill have a look at that.
Oops, just realised that I shouldnt really have put this in the Cit' section[:o)]
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i wouldn't knock barum tyres they are not bad at all, they are owned by continental, i tried some a while back and they were good still got them on the rear 30,000 miles later.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Think I will give them a whirl then. Ill just tell them I will use my old valves, even if they charge a tenner for balancing, its still only £50 for two tyres, fitted, cant see me getting them any cheaper than that anyhere anyway...
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Reckon I'd pass on budget brands unless desperate -- after a rather nasty aquaplane thanks to Centaur and a sideways skid in snow seemingly due to (in fairness, quite worn) Yokohamas.... it's Goodyear Hydragrips the Xantia runs on now.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Since when was Yokohama a budget brand? I had a set of A509s on my old car which were the best tyre I have ever driven on in the dry. I say in the dry because I don't think I ever drove on a worse set in the wet......They did however wear out very quickly.
I have budget tyres on my Xantia front. They were £35 each and no complaints with performance -'adequate' would sum them up, it just depends what you want from your tyres, you get what you pay for.
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

[:D] well, whe i got my xantia last August, I went to the cheapest tyre shop ever in town and bought a new pair for £25, they are brilliant and i have no clue what make they are
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Falken make a good budget tyre.
kid
My Cars:

Post by kid »

better still buy the avon zv3, only £84 for two fitted, valve balance etc.
these rrp is £75 ish each any worth every penny.
for those that have read my thread 'terrible xantia handling on motorway' will know my 11 month problem has now been solved simply by putting these on the front. these offer incrediblke grip, very quiet, fantastic handling and braking int the wet, trust me ive just been on the m42 at 70 in the wet and it felt fantastic, quiet and smooth. also no understter on these, which blighted my previous set of tyres.
i very much agree you get what you pay for in tyres, and these are a bargain.
is it worth saving £25-30 per side for these extra safety, handling and comfort features, plus over the life cycle of the tyre the extra cost is nothing.
ive found th efollowing website useful too
http://www.tyretest.com/
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Cheap tyres are OK. They usually just wear quite quickly and even if they have a little less grip then its not that bad. If you 'end up in a wall' as you put it then it will be your fault not the tyres.
kid
My Cars:

Post by kid »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ItDontGo</i>

Cheap tyres are OK. They usually just wear quite quickly and even if they have a little less grip then its not that bad. If you 'end up in a wall' as you put it then it will be your fault not the tyres.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
you must be brave, with budgets on the front of my xantia, it felt unsafe over 60mph, and pulled on hard braking, needless to say the've been scrapped. if you feel safe in them then good for you, me never, in a xantia anyway. in a 600kg corsa (for eg) the difference is probably minimal
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I had some awful Goodyears on my Pug 306 Dturbo when I got it. Wheelspin in 2nd was not uncommon when it was wet and they locked up a treat too. Fitted Avon's which were wonderful until they wore a little - then iffy in the wet too.
Currently have Firestones which are rubbish on the 2cv but seem pretty good on the Pug.
When I had a BX TGD, I fitted remoulds (I was very skint in those days) and had no problems at all. No turbo probably helped though!
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Im sticking to the Michelin Pilots.
I wont put any kind of Ditchfinder tyre on my car.
Ive tried Goodyears, Pirellis, Continentals, Dunlops, Bridgestones, Firestones & they dont grip or last half as well as the Michelins do.
I know Michelins cost a fortune but its a price worth paying at the end of the day.