xantia 1.9td dying

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stewart_c
My Cars:

xantia 1.9td dying

Post by stewart_c »

hi,
just found the forum and am looking for help.my car has started dying on shopping type trips.i can drive for 30miles (or more)stop for an hour or more but on the return trip if i want to stop off the problems begin,if the stop is for 5 min.or so. the car starts fine drives for 100yds./1 mile then dies until sufficient time seems to pass for it ot cool down. it will drive all day but a 5min stop is leathal. it was in the garage to-day but they could not find anything wrong.
has anyone else had experiance of this problem?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

A work mate had this happen regular on his TD SX Rreg. usually when he stopped for fuel, the short stop you also speak of, the car wouldn't start again under its own steam but curiously enough would start with a jump, even though it was being turned over fast enough by its own battery.
The cure was to replace the electronic's concerning anti-theft immobiliser on the injection pump, the stop solenoid was also changed at the same time as a precaution because of the difficulty getting at it.
These two item's are located under the gold coloured steel casing on the end of the pump and is secured in place with shear head bolts.
The pump has to be removed to gain access as the shear head bolt's have to be punched round or drilled out.
The all inclusive cost was £150.
This only applies if your car has a keypad immobiliser.
Dave
stewart_c
My Cars:

Post by stewart_c »

thanks for the advice dave,it does not quite match the problem,but one one occasion the red & green light came on on the key pad after the code had been entered, which threw me a bit, however i pay more attention to the keypad light now before i start up so it may be the cause.cheers
spanners

Post by spanners »

ANOTHER IMPORTANT FACTOR OF THE CODE PAD IMOBILISER IS THE EARTH ON THE ENGINE/GEARBOX THE MAIN EARTH ON THE GEARBOX 13MM BOLT WILL GET HOT AND LOSE CONTINUITY OR ON SOME MODELS YOU MAY HAVE A NEST OF EARTHS AT BASE OF CYLINDER HEAD