A decision - Help & Advice needed....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

adzbaby
My Cars:

A decision - Help & Advice needed....

Post by adzbaby »

Hello folks,
Right well I have been a busy boy acquiring 'Xantiae' over the last few months and preceeding to turn my garden into a breakers yard!
However during tis time I have got myself a couple of 'good-uns', one which I bought off ebay, an M reg 1.9TD VSX in red 200K, and the other a P reg 2.0 16v VSX in blue, 56K which a friend has given me.
Both cars are in great condition inside and out. However both are not without problems. The red one has a HG problem and I have a replacement 1.9TD engine (being an old one of mine which I have had since new) which has done 127k which I was planning to swap over.
The blue car, the 'Big end' has gone and although will still drive is on its last legs. I have no replacement engine lined up for this one so it will be an engine out and crankshaft repair job as I don't really have the cash to buy a replacement (unless someone here has a cheap one going?).
Now really I only have the option to repair one of these, my landlord is an ex-mechanic whom has already helped me do an engine swap on my current Xantia, he is 73 now and I can't keep on asking him to help ( but he may want to do both if I am lucky).
Which car would you guys favour? As I mentioned there isn't much in it in the way of looks and general condition, but the petrol has done 75% less miles in terms of wear and tear on the car, is newer, has no apparent suspension problems; on the red car the rear end will not rise to normal ride height, it will go up to full height and lowest on 'command' but will not go in the 'middle'. On both cars I have very good S/H.
What's the general opinion?
Cheers.
roy_newell

Post by roy_newell »

the blue car does it for me
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'm certainly biased towards the low miler 16V - but you need to invest in an extra engine. Could well be a cambelt top-crashed engine for free.
On the other hand the TD is more economic and you just have to invest quite some work - as you've got all major parts.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Go with the Diesel!!- a head skim and gasket and it'll be up and running, or, at worse , you will need to get a replacement head, and suspension problems are usually relatively easy to sort out with a clean and LHM change.
The 16v, from your description, anyway, sounds completely shot, and unless you can get a good replacement motor, which is a known quantity and which you can hear running, which is unlikely,use it as a donor and scrap the rest- its worthless as a non runner!!!
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

If you want a 'known good' bottom half of a 2.0 16 V then I have one you can have if you are willing to remove it from the car. Car is almost stripped now, suspension out etc so access as good as can be, but let me know asap as I will be sending it on its last journey soon.
I'm using its head to replace the one damaged on the car listed below.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Oh the decisions.
Richard I will email you about that bottom half!
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Adz....You haven't got a centre armresr have you? not the one on the seat the type that fits to the floor.
Its a long shot.....[:D]