129bhp from a 1.9td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Boost be blowed(!) What we want is POWER! so tweaking the pump supplies more fuel, the boost comes from the turbo pressurising the incoming air. More air needs more fuel. Now you can tweak the boost.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

As the engine burns more fuel, more exhaust gas is produced so causing the turbo to spin faster. More fuel burnt = more turbo pressure possible. If no fuel burnt, no exhaust gasses, so no turbo spinning. As you increase boost the air temp increases. If the inlet temp is to hot you can end up with less air in the engine than if you have less boost at lower temp. Cold air less dense = more air for the same volume of hot air. If I got mixed up please someone correct me - it has been a long day ( changed Xantia clutch clip and cable - WOW!! what a difference it made to pedal, left leg muscles shrinking already )
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

You can't just increase fuel. If there is not enough air in the cylinder to burn the fuel you car will smoke. Like a friendly Policeman told me one day :)))) This is where the turbo comes in. Blows more air into the engine so you can burn more fuel so you can make more pressure so you can burn more fuel so you can make more pressure so you can burn more fuel until you get to the point where it starts smoking ( or you pop the intercooler or head gasket )
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Ah, but the production of power continues way past the smoking threshold, agreed you do need a turbo, but *just* increasing the fuel will give a noticeable increase in power.
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

Its true the boost will increase with fuel more noticeably on diesels. And as for the power beyond smoke thing....
http://www.cumminsracing.com/
Have a look at the emmissions for that badboy!!!
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

The last time I had been playing with mine it was pointed out by a very nice ( read b&^£%"d ) policeman that it was a little on the smokey side. I pointed out it had passed its MOT a few weeks before and I would have it checked out again. ( I seem to remember turning the max fueling down for the MOT smoke test :) )
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by VLL</i>

Mines currently running at 1.6bar max boost with the KKK turbo, will get someone to take a photo of the guage to prove it next time i'm out.
Its been at 1.6bar for nearly a year now with no problems.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Got a mate to video the boost guage yesterday, its not very good quality but you can see how much boost its making....just.
http://www.dhendry.plus.com/images/zx/video/Boost.avi
boneyboy
My Cars:

Post by boneyboy »

get a new intercooler first if you are planning on increasing the boost it really is the best mod you can do the engine ask ALLARDS the know there stuff cold air is the key
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Yep, very expensive though.... but then cheaper than a new engine!
boneyboy
My Cars:

Post by boneyboy »

cost about 600 squids for the front mounted cooler which i had done big difference
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

I've asked this question before but still can't find the answer. To those who've mounted their turbo boost meter, how do you thread the hose from the engine bay to dashboard? I've been trying to figure it out but there doesn't seem to be any openings for the small hose.
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

Hi,
I drilled a holh thrugh the butress near the washer bottle, and then another into the cabin in the recess behind there. Boost guage is now in the area where the alarm switch is. There are no holes already that you can use unfortunaltely (that are easy anyway).
Whats the markings on the guage V? 0.5, 1.0 and 1.5? Your boost rises pretty feckin quickly! Max is just under 1.5? Will get a vid of mine. Should be able to get boost and revs on mine due to where guage is.
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnCKL</i>

I've asked this question before but still can't find the answer. To those who've mounted their turbo boost meter, how do you thread the hose from the engine bay to dashboard? I've been trying to figure it out but there doesn't seem to be any openings for the small hose.
Mines just threaded through the same hole the speedo cable goes through, its a tiny plastic tube so goes through the gromet no problems.
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mrbump</i>

Hi,
I drilled a holh thrugh the butress near the washer bottle, and then another into the cabin in the recess behind there. Boost guage is now in the area where the alarm switch is. There are no holes already that you can use unfortunaltely (that are easy anyway).
Whats the markings on the guage V? 0.5, 1.0 and 1.5? Your boost rises pretty feckin quickly! Max is just under 1.5? Will get a vid of mine. Should be able to get boost and revs on mine due to where guage is.
The guage is marked in .5bar increments, max boost is about 1.6bar, on warmer days 1.5 seems to be the most it will make.
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Forgot to mention my car is a Xantia 1.9TD 96. The Xantia would be more difficult to find any openings to put a small hose through. Wondered if anyone successfully done it without drilling.