Xantia TD Oil Temp

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Xantia TD Oil Temp

Post by RichardW »

Give a man a gauge, and he'll worry about it [:o)]
First month (ahem 4,000 miles...) the Xantia TD VSX oil temp ran at 90°C, rising to 110°C at sustained 3000 rpm on the m-way. Last weekend I changed the accumulator, disconnecting the oil temp sensor in the process (not easy when you're trying to hold a slippery accumulator in one hand and remove the connector with the other!). I also removed, and left off, the undertray. Now the oil temp is running at 55 - 60°C in normal driving (no w-way yet so can't compare). It seems that the undertray keeps the sump much warmer - I'm going to refit it in the interests of experimentation. Or maybe disconnecting and reconnecting the sensor has removed some corrosion causing the different reading (my first though until I remembered I had removed the undertray).
Perhaps it DOES have a purpose other than annoying us when we change the oil [:o)]
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

I think one of the recommendations when fitting a towbar to a Xantia is to remove the undertray as it does make a difference to engine cooling.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

After loosing my under tray a year or so ago(somewhere on the M5 near Bristol![:I]),it made no difference at all to the temp.Normal on the motorway was about 90c.With the caravan on,it runs about 100c,up to 130-140c on long climbs.After getting a new one a few weeks ago(thanks Adzbaby[:)])it has made no difference at all to the temp.
The only difference with it on now is i dont get a little blob of oil on the drive![:D]
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I'd bet on the connector now not making contact correctly (extra resistance) and giving a false/low reading as a result.
On TD's the oil temperarure does normally run around 80/90 degrees, higher on the m/way as speed climbs above 70 on long climbs.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Wow, 130 degrees is too hot for oil, it starts to physically loose its ability to lubricate at those temperatures. Thats not particulalry good for engine life.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Well,my Dads got a 1yr old 406 HDI 110.He has a oil temp gauge in that.On the same motorway jorney in oct with our caravans,his oil was at 150c,the end of the scale.Mine was at 100c.
As Richard said though,give a man a gauge & he`ll worry about it.If the oil gets to hot,the warning light will come on.If we didn`t have a gauge,we wouldn`t pay any thought to the oil temp.
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

My Xantia 1.9TD undertray removal seems to make a difference of about 2-3C lower, just a slight cooling effect. I think the tray will absorb engine noise as it has a soft pad facing the engine and it will prevent water/mud/sand/stones from hitting the engine. After fitting a oil temp. gauge, found out that at normal cruising of 100kph, oil temp around 80-90C, prolong steep slope climbing max at about 125C at night time, probably higher in hot afternoons.