HDi with no history. Bad idea?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PJLarge
My Cars:

HDi with no history. Bad idea?

Post by PJLarge »

Following on from my thread about a 306 here: http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=11680
I have a friend who owns a large multi franchise dealership. He's happy to sell me one of his PX's at trade. I popped in to see him yesterday and he'd just had in a 306 HDi D Turbo. It's on a 'T' plate, 3 dr, 85k. Currently it looks like there's no history with it, although the salesman that bought it in was off and we couldn't find anything to do with the car other than the keys. That situation may change today. We started it, the revs were hunting ever so slightly but it settled as it warmed up. There are signs of service (it was sporting a Halfords oil filter) but nothing certain. The car looks to be in VGC externally. I can buy this car for £2500. Does a HDi without history sound a bad idea?
Phil.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

That's a good price for a 306 HDi, but only because there's no history. When I bought mine I saw one that had no history. The dealer gave me the spiel about him getting "a lot of cars from this place" and that "they're usually fine". It was absolutely mint too: X-plate, Diablo red, full GLX spec, the precious Cyclone GTI6 alloys, about 80k. I think he wanted about £3000 for it, which would have been a bargain, but with no service history I had absolutely no intention of buying it. Took it for a good drive though [:D]
In short: don't do it. Take it for a spin by all means, but don't get suckered in. If you fancy an HDi then it'll take a little hunting as they're a little harder to find than the TDs, especially if you're picky about the spec. But it's a buyer's market out there, so don't buy a dog unless you're desparate for a car.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Can't you find the previous owner(s) via the vehicle reg and ask them??
//NiSk
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Yes, got to agree with batwad here. There are alot of these out there at the moment and you can afford to be picky. It just isn't worth it when there are so many good cars out there with full history.
Tempting at this price i know, but don't do it.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Its cheap, and a Halfords filter points to an owner who at least cared enough to do his own maintenance and change the oil-go with your instincts, if it starts o.k. from cold, doesn't smoke, and goes in a straight line and pulls up straight, it should be o.k.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

What is actually done on servicing? Yes I know they are supposed to check brakes etc but bits for these need replacing routinely anyway.
Apart from checking gearbox oil and changeing fuel and air filters the only serious bit they do is to change the engine oil which obviously is important - but if it looks as though its in good condition chances are this has been done and if its been done by the owner its probably been done properly and regularily.
Beware of something that looks too clean - it may have been neglected and then steamed just for sale - but then again there may be nothing wrong.
The ones you really have to be wary of are cars that have had recent work - which may have been done with the advice that you should get rid soon or done badly by the vendor.
perhaps its a hobby horse of mine - I think routine servicing by dealers is just a rip off.
Now I'd leave it a few days and then put in an offer of £1500 and see what he says - tut tut - no service records etc - might work!
jeremy
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I agree with Bxbodger,i went with my instincts.My Xantia cost £4000.Had 105k miles,with service history up to 55k.It was clean & tidy,with a dirty engine.Hadn`t been steem cleaned by the garage,as they said buyers were put off by a clean engine,as Jeremy said.
I got hold of the previous owner,a man in his 50`s who confirmed he had serviced it himself.
Sods law being sods law,you buy one WITH sevice history,you`ll have problems.You just dont know.Also,being a friend,he wouldn`t sell you a lemon would he?[:)]