BX STOP light flashes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oilyspanner
My Cars:

BX STOP light flashes

Post by oilyspanner »

Yesterday I drained the hydrorincage out, cleaned the filters, bled the brakes, did citaerobics, now the stop light flashes when I turn right? and it flashes as the car brakes to a halt? the car rises quickly and the stop light goes out afer a few seconds when started, the power steering is a bit weak but the brakes are better than they have been[V]
Stewart
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

LHM reservoir filled correctly ?
Engine oil level ?
Coolant level ?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Loads of everything Anders, the light that comes on in conjuction with the stop is the brake pressure one?
Stewart
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I've seen this one before mentioned on here. Loss of pressure in the hydraulics by the sound of it but I'll bet that the steering is fine. Flashes on a right turn? Probably maximum load on the pump which is now trying to shove nice thick LHM around the arteries.
Pump belt could be taking more of a caning than before. Does it do it at a standstill?
If so then it has to be in the FDV or the rack as long as the belt is tight..
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If all is functioning properly there should be sufficient high pressure LHM for several applications of the brakes and for the suspension to run for a little while without any supply from the pump. The action of the FDV is to give priority to the steering.
How frequently does the regulator tick? Is the accumulator any good?
Jeremy
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hm, interesting one.I'm assuming that after changing the fluid the pump primed OK?
This situation I think can only be caused by a weak pump. The BX diesel is only a 5 piston pump and it sounds like one or two of the pistons are worn or seizing, leaving it unable to supply enough pressure for the hungry power steering.
On my BX I was losing the power steering totally for the first couple of miles when the car/weather was cold, and had tried hydraflushing etc to no avail. I called CGS in Gloucester and straight away they said "new pump" so I fitted one on Friday, what a difference! Steering lighter, car rapid to rise, an unbelievable difference.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Jeremy, the acc sphere is new, I have just driven the car for ten miles or so,I think the flashing frequency drops off a little as the thing warms up. the lights flash when turning right, even a little right hand lock applied, when negotiating bumps the light flashes, probably responding to demands from suspension, and when braking.
Jon it looks like I am in the market for a new pump, how much did they charge you for one?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Don't forget the level indicator has an electronic function that lights the STOP and (!) lights on the dash on low level. The way yours is flashing sounds to me like the wire is touching an earth somewhere, or the level sensor has gone kaput. If you were losing enough pressure to put the light on, the steering would go heavy - when mine used to go heavy on cold mornings, the light never came on.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Haven't disturbed a chaffed wire have you ? When I originally changed the fluid on my xant one of the wires had been chewed and I hadn't noticed did some very odd flickering.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Examined the wires on the level sensor, reversed them, reduced frequency of lights, still keen to replace pump though, the brakes lack bite and evidence points towards the pump being tired.
Stewart
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Stewart -
Does the PR tick as usuual - no matter frequency ?
If that is true - it wont help replacing the pump as the ticking PR indicates you have the correct system pressure.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The PR makes a rattling click every 25 seconds or so.....
Stewart
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Ah, this topic :D
Stewart, i've emailed you regarding the pump. I think i've got a new (obsolete) belt for it as well! Does sound like either the FD or the pump! Both rubbish and should be replaced with the superior Xantia items [;)]
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Is the Xantia pump a straight swap then? I need to know these things nowadays.........
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

No Vanny did a lot of work to get it working, probably worthwhile if your donor vehicle is a Xantia.
Stewart