Xantia 1.8 (8v)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jockh
My Cars:

Xantia 1.8 (8v)

Post by Jockh »

Can someone please help. i own a 94 1.8(8v), the car has been fine, regularly serviced etc, but suddenly the car is running like a bag of bolts- missing, backfiring, smell of petrol when outside the car the trouble is that it is intermittant. i have also noticed that the car is clicking a lot more than it used to? is the suspension in need of some tender loving care? Thanks in advance
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The clicking sound is the regulator cutting in/out, can be caused by flat (lost its charge of high pressure gas) accumulator sphere, or a generally worn hygraulic system causing internal leakage, though a looked after car with less than 150 000 miles on it should have a pretty good hydraulic system still.
The sphere which will require re-gassing or better still replacing every 3 to 4 year's, is screwed on to the regulator and is located low down on the front of the engine, look between the radiator and the engine.
Sorry I can't help with the petrol engine troubles.
Dave
Jockh
My Cars:

Post by Jockh »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Can someone please help. i own a 94 1.8(8v), the car has been fine, regularly serviced etc, but suddenly the car is running like a bag of bolts- missing, backfiring, smell of petrol when outside the car the trouble is that it is intermittant. i have also noticed that the car is clicking a lot more than it used to? is the suspension in need of some tender loving care? Thanks in advance

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Jockh
My Cars:

Post by Jockh »

Thanks Dave, quite correct!!!!
Problem with engine seems to be a blocked fuel filter (of all things!)
Car was maybe playing tricks on the mind.