Citoren ZX Diesel Wont start after service

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Roscoe
My Cars:

Post by Roscoe »

I had a similar problem on my TZD when I changed the fuel filter - ended up syphoning a few litres of diesel out of it (yecch!) and then running a longer suction-side fuel line from that container (propped up above the fuel filter) and priming it with the bulb. I could see air bubbles being pushed BACK into the container so suspected a faulty primer diaphragm - but after some persistence finally saw fuel coming out the pump side so reconnected the pump line and started the car. Let it run to make sure the fuel filter was well full, shut it down and quickly reattached the supply hose - restarted immediately and kept it running at a fast idle for a few minutes - worked perfectly. Funnily enough, my primer bulb never got hard either - in fact gave no resistance even when the car was running.
cheers, Brian
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It sounds to me like the stop solenoid is not energising. Either it has failed (possible) or you have knocked the wire off whilst servicing the car (much more likely). Assuming you do not have an immobiliser, try running a wire from battery +ve to the top of the solenoid on the end of the pump and see what happens (note you will have to use the stop lever on the pump, or pull the wire off to stop the engine if it starts!).
TImR

Post by TImR »

Got a new priming bulb yesterday – put it on this morning, rebleed the system, engine turned over twice and it started. The more I went through what was happening the more it became clear there was air getting in to the fuel line.
Many thanks for your help folks!
Tim