Power steering - Problem?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonyb1
My Cars:

Power steering - Problem?

Post by tonyb1 »

Hi to all. I noticed today when going around corners, I get a noise from the steering wheel area. I can only describe it as the noise you get when you wipe a wet window with your finger, like a dull vibration noise. It's not there all the time and is fairly quiet at the moment. Is it a sign of a problem in it's early stages? Can't find any leaks or anything. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

This is now becoming very noticable, could anyone have a guess at what could be the cause before I have to put it in, I'm at a loss, where is the best place to look for this kind of thing. It's mainly turning left when I hear it. Cheers.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

My old BMW had an 'earth ring' around the steering wheel hub on which the horn contact would rotate when you turned the wheel. After a while the contact became dry and would emit a really loud 'farty vibration' noise throught the wheel. After removing the wheel and applying some vaseline the problem was cured. Not sure if early Xantias without the steering wheel controls had a similar set up but it might be worth a look. If you haven't got an airbag it's a simple enough job to have a look around anyway, you might even have a dry bearing?
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

Cheers Dan, It's got the airbag and controls, think I'll leave it till the the service and ask the garage to look at it, I don't fancy tackling the airbag etc. Tony