Xsara servicing intervals

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

Xsara servicing intervals

Post by paranoid »

Please can someone clear up a little

Brother in law has a S reg old shape xsara estate with 1.9 td xud lump which I have now taken over the servicing duties on, Can you tell me when the oil changes are supposed to be please ?
since he bought it he has had the oil changed at a dealer every 10'000 miles this seems a lot to me especially as when I drained it seemed very very watery and thin he reckons the dealer told him every 10K even though the service book says 6'000
The car does about 20-25000 miles a year almost all motorway work.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I believe that an S reg Xsara XUD would be under 6,000 mile oil changes. Besides, it is good pratise to change the oil that often. I do in my 2 year old C5 HDI.
It is a piece of cake to do, filters and oil are cheap from GSF, should take you less than an hour once you have done it before.
Try it!
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

I know this, you know this, but to brother in law the word of the dealer is gospel......
I don't charge for his services he just pays for the parts (he's a very good person and has done a lot for me and mr's F over the years)
I just get the feeling that engine is gonna go bang in a few years [:(!]I think he trusts dealers because Rover were very good to him during previous car ownership.[;)]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

That 10K interval just happens to be the same as my 1.6 VTR Xsara. I reckon it's all becuase of the digital service indicator that counts down form 10K. When its 500 miles form zero it starts flashing etc. Ther's instructions on how to reset on this site. Trust you own instincts and go with 6K for the service, I know I do.
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

Someone doing 20-25k in any car is probably doing a lot of motorway miles and so treating the engine quite mildly - in that it's usually operating at full temperature. (In contrast to a 2nd car used for town driving I mean).
So 10k should be fine for oil changes - providing the oil is good quality, like Millers semi-synth or better.
I used to change oil at 12k on my old ZX with the same engine as yours; indeed I had it analysed at 6 and 12 k by Millers who pronounced it fine. It would probably have still been OK at 18k...
Simon