sphere removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mpr1956
My Cars:

sphere removal

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi all, just a quickie.... has anybody successfully used a "Boa" strap wrench to remove spheres? i was wondering if they were "man" enough to belt with a hammer or perhaps could take an extension to increase turning force...(I'm going to try changing my Acc sphere on a 93 lxtd xantia) thanks in anticipation guys !
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Used one on the front spheres, no go on the back. Never tried it on the accumulator. With apologies to those who do things properly I tend to go for the hammer and chisel when the sphere isn't going back on.
Rory
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

tried a boa ok for jam jars ,forget it for spheres,same goes for facom oil filter tools.regards john .
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Yes I have used one and yes I did undo spheres with it. However I don't think those spheres were very tight and its too springy to hit.
In my early days I broke an oil filter chain wrench undoing a sphere and I uses the hex bar from it to make a device that has undone all my spheres since including 8 year old back ones on my BX. I simply bent a strip of 1.5mm steel (55 mm wide) round an old sphere and then welded it onto opposite flats of the hex bar so that it tightens when the bar is turned to undo. The bar has a 1/2 in socket in one end and I simply turn it with a T bar.
Jeremy
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

thanks for your feedback.... I'll have to fabricate one of jeremy's tools or get down and dirty with the hammer and chisel!!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I've got a strap wrench that goes on my 1/2" drive ratchet, it won't shift spheres (too much wind up and stretch) but its great for shifting stubborn oil filters.
I've had to shift stubborn spheres many times before, my current weapon of choice nowadays is a set of 18" or 24" stilsons, depending on how stubborn the sphere wants to be. In the past, I've used a heavy chain wrench (my Dad used it for refridgeration fittings at an ice rink).
I can't see a boa shifting any but the easiest of spheres, I don't think it would have shifted any of the spheres I've had to remove.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I have a <b>very</b> heavy duty 18 inch chain wrench, which never fails!
I got it from a local spares shop for about 9 quid- it was sold under the Franklin Tools name, but isn't in their catalogue. Any half decent motor factor should have something similar.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

Fronts - simple oil filter chain wrench worked for me
Rears - Hammer, chisel and finally drill to rear of sphere so as not to contaminate system with swarf, insert rod, hammer rod. Nowt else would shift them at the time
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Fronts were easy, and came off with an oil filter strap.
Rears wouldn't, so I got the proper tool from GSF, and have never looked back.
I no longer have a xantia ( although that may change soon ), but I have kept the tool just in case !
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I use a wrench with a (replaceable) stainless steel strap, which requires virtually no clearance. It can be tightened round the sphere (or whatever) with a spanner, and the handle can be belted with a hammer. Not cheap - I think it cost me about £30.00 a good few years ago from an agricultural engineer / tool dealer - but well worth it!