rear brake pads xsara -fitting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

drpau
My Cars:

rear brake pads xsara -fitting

Post by drpau »

Ok fellas, I established that it was my rear pads that were almost down to the metal, got the new pads from gsf, and set to work- little retaining clip was rustier than a rusty thing but the dremel on the edges of the retaining sections on the old pads sorted that. Never done pads myself and so am following Haynes. The thing is it says to retract the piston into the housing, does it mean totally? The main prob Im having is that it says put the outer pad into the caliper first but there is no way it will fit as there is nowhere near enoguh room between caliper and disc- whereas for the inner pad there is loads of room vfor it to go in.
Any help would be much appreciated guys.[:I]
Paul
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

You have to press the piston(s? not sure if its a fixed or floating caliper - usually fixed, i.e. two pistons on the rear) into the caliper so that there's enough space to get the pads in. If both pads were equally worn that should do, but if not, then the least worn side needs exercising - press it in with a heavy duty screwdriver or small jemmy, then pump it out (with the brake pedal - but make sure you have your lever in between, (the heavy duty screwdriver or small jemmy) otherwise you won't get it back in again. Once both pistons move freely, press them both back and insert the pads. It may be easier to insert one pad then press back the other piston - doesn't matter which side you start with.
//NiSk
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

hmm, seems to be just the one piston unless Im missing something. Yes One pad (the outer) was worn almost to the metal and the other one had a fair bit of life left in it.
here is a picture of what Im looking at....[:(]
http://boby.freeservers.com/photo2.html
(pleease ignore the rest of the pics theyre not mine!)
Its obviously reallyb easy but Im not to sure on what to do....[:I]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Ah. I can see what's going on. You need to pull the whole caliper towards the brake disc. Now it should be on a couple of sliding guide pins (hence the name of this type of caliper'sliding or floating'). Right this is where I gets it wrong or not. On your picky by the hydraulic pipe in to the caliper there should be a rubber bung or some kind of dust cap. There should be one below it as well, 2 in total. Remove bungs and see if you can remove the guide pins. This will let the caliper fall off but will allow you to clean, lubricate and replace them (guide pins). Once back together you should be able to pull the caliper towards the disc and so allowing the pads to be replaced. It's not unusual for the calipers to become stuck on the guide pins as they are getting all the wet and crap off the road..
Looking at the picky it seems that the caliper has become stuck due to the above reasons. Will only take about 30 mins on top of the job to sort. Don't woory about scoring on the guides just make sure any dust covers are OK as this will stop the crap getting in. Also use agood brake lude, copper grease etc. [:D] hope this helps.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Hi stuart, I have shoved another picture onto there, I was thinking it was something to do with these big bolts!? not read your whole reply yet......
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Ok, Now it's been some time on rear brake pads, I'm stuck on drums these days as dont go too fast. The central cover should be hiding what your after. Carefully pri away and see if you have 2 guide pins with hex (internal) heads are visable. If so these are the ones. Those big bolts are holding the caliper to the suspension arm. Saying that you have to remove these bolts to take off the car anyway.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

I will have a peek, its cold and dark [:(]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Leave it tiger!. Have a bear and have ago tomorrow. It'll still be there. I'm off for some beer my self. Got a lie in tomorrow. Late work start as dropping in the telecaster (guitar) to be set up now I've had it a month. See ya later let us know how you get on.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Cheers for your replies stuart, I was a bit concerned as to wether or not that rubber thing will contain fluid, seems a bit squishy- so Ive decided not to touch it yet! Haynes also says nothimng about it at all- it goes into detail on guide pins etc for the fronts for all different makes but not the rear. Ho Hum
I like gettin' my hands dirty but theres always summat getting in my way. I though it would be a ten min job-....take out retaining pin, and sleeve, then remove pads, insert new pads, then do the other side[}:)]
A guitar? What do you play (the pia pia piano piano piano....[:D])
Have a nice beer, I could do with a scoop myself!
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Hurrrahh! Job done, thanks for your tips fellas it turned out that those big nuts incorporate the guide/slide pin things, once I sorted them out on the bad side it was plain sailing. It appears this side is a problem caliper- and it looks like whoever did this last time just changed pads on one wheel not both[:(!] as they arent the same brand, funny thing is it was A VICAR (NO JOKE) WHO OWNED IT LAST- people endangering a man of the cloth- shocking eh! When I next do them it will be easy- main prob was getting the retaining slide thing which holds in the pads out- it didnt slide out on either side because they were rusted to death, dremel sorted that out though![:D]
thanks again Stuart and Nisk.