Connection to turbo boost input on injection pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Connection to turbo boost input on injection pump

Post by Wookey »

Where does the connection to the boost input on top of the injection pump come from (XUD9TE engine, bosch pump)? Anywhere in the pipe between the turbo output and the intercooler, or the intercooler and the inlet manifold, or before the turbo (I presume not).
Here's a pic of the spigot in question (just about in the middle of this pic)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The pipe you show is on the extra fuel device on the pump, the purpose of which is to increase the fuelling in response to boost pressure. Without it the engine gets no benefit from the boost as the turbo is simply pumping loads of air into the engine and the fuel is the same as for no boost.
On my BX TD (Roto-diesel pump) the pipe runs to the front of the intercooler (looking at the engine - its on top). I suppose the pressure can be sensed anywhere between the turbo and the engine, certainly not elsewhere.
Jeremy
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The pipe needs to be connected to the pressurised side of the inlet, anywhere after the compressor will be fine, the line is also where your boost gauge needs plumbing in.
Stewart
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

if you use the xant manifold but not the hoses, you will need to tap the manifold and put screw tail in there to get a pressure feed for the pump. You could also put a feed anywhere in one of the post-turbo hoses. A little advice though, when you do put the boost guage feed onto the manifold, at idle or small throttle (ie no boost) the guage flickers like mad and rattles annoyingly (like mine!)
would it help at all if I sent a pic of my engine bay so you can see what (not) to do?
Cheers
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

A good boost gauge should have hysteresist built in to cope with the rapid pressure fluctuations, don't just try and use a pressure gauge it needs to be a proper boost gauge.
Dave
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

I dont think Wookey is talking about fitting a boost guage, more where the pipe is meant to go to/from!
The input you have runs through a pipe about 8 inches long and attaches to the plastic pipe that comes up from the turbo to the RHS of the intercooler (looking from front of the car). Again i'll try finding the picture in a minute or get some at the weekend!
IF you wanted to fit a boost guage then DONT buy one in this country, its a waste of money. For the price of a cheap one on Ebay you can have a decent one shipped from the states. Last time i looked there was a pretty good pro sport one (with filters and back light) for around £30 including P+P. This was for a 2 bar/30PSI guage. A cheap TIMS guage for 1bar/16PSI is around £30 in Halfrauds!
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mrbump</i>

if you use the xant manifold but not the hoses, you will need to tap the manifold and put screw tail in there<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
A screw tail? This is some magic hollow widget for Teeing an air line?
Do I actually need a boost guage? Once I've determined that it is working with a temporary T-piece somewhere then I would have throught I could live without a guage telling how much boost there is. I suppose it is a useful diagnostic for the fact that your turbo is poorly.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Wwould it help at all if I sent a pic of my engine bay so you can see what (not) to do?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
As it seems you have already been through some of this, yes please, that would be most helpful.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Ah Ha
Right this time where interested in the Pink Circle!
The BIG plastic pipe funs accross the front of the engine to the intercooler. The rubber pipe coming off it runs to the fuel advance. Under that cap is a diaphram that adjusts the fuel added!
Lying on the top of mine is a random un connected pipe. Wookey please ignor ethis, it was the original fuel return pipe for the NA diesel engine, but i used the Xantia ones in the end!
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

as i said, its in the pipe, but I dont think he will be able to use it!!!
as for the boost gauge thing. install one now if you have ANY plans to mess about/tune the car.
I am using a boost guage, made by VDO, supposedly damped (hysteresis) and it still wobbles. Its just not made to sit that close to the intake pipes in a diesel car with no throttle plate. For example, it never runs any vacuum at all. Comprende? I was just saying it might be better to mount if further away from the manifold. Get a litle metal pipe and weld it onto a metal boost hose with drilled hole.
Screw tail, its just a holow 'bolt' with a barbed tail for a hose fitting. Cost about 10p. Its what I used to get a pressure feed from the manifold. My friend runs a hydraulics company and lives 1 mile from my hose so I am very lucky when it comes to hoses, fittings, braided brake pipes etc.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

www.eGauges.com
try them for guages, american but $20 USD for shipping, which is cheaper than a lot of places than here. I spoke to Paul Kollek and they apparently have daily shipments to the UK!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I purchased a temperature gauge (tim) from speeding co.uk - they were excellent and it turned up well wrapped shortly after ordered.
Gauges are listed under 'Engine' on their website
http://www.speeding.co.uk/
Jeremy
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Used http://www.speeding.co.uk/ a few times before very very good service and unusually quick delivery. RECOMMENDED