Throttle Cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

weety
My Cars:

Throttle Cable

Post by weety »

hmmm well i just got recovered home with a strange little problem....driving over the dartford bridge the throttle pedal went to the floor and the car started to slow down.
quite an easy problem to solve i thought throttle cable must have snapped.... but no the throttle cable still attached both ends but all the rubber grommitey things in the bulkhead have been pulled through and are now resting on top of the throttle pedal.....there is also a sticky rubbery substance everywhere which could be melted grommit but its tricky to say.
i have to say i have never heard of this happening on any car, i cant imagine how the grommets could break up to such an extent that they got pulled into the car. Oh and i have checked the bulkhead hole and it is still nice and circular no one has bent it out of shape
has anyone ever seen anything like this before??
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

May be the grommets have melted due to contamination with some fluid? You know like latex gloves fall off in shreds when they get covered in thinners.
The solution is probably just renew the cable.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

hmmm thats an even scarier thought with the amount of rubber on the car....oh well i hope to pick up a throttle cable tomorrow and i imagine it will all become clearer when i take the cable off
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Had a similar incident about 30 years ago, an old boy owned a lovely V8 rover, the choke cable kept sticking, I removed the inner, cleaned and greased it, lovely and smooth, a week later stuck again???? the engine was earthing through it! kept on welding it together.
Stewart
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

well i am just girding my loins for going outside and bodging it until i can get a new cable.... i thought of just shortening the metal inner of the cable and see what happens
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

well cables of and its definately some sort of chemical reaction....though with what i hate to think...the rubber seems to be dissolving....i reckon i can come up with sort of repair using washers until i can get a new cable
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Has it had LHM on it because that can cause a chemical reaction with certain types of rubber.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Maybe the cable you're replacing is itself a replacement (with me so far?) and in fitting it maybe the fitter(it's getting worse)used a lubricant to help the grommets along. If he used something 'corrosive' maybe that's where the problem is.
I can see it now; stuck under the bonnet trying to fit a tight grommet - stick your fingers in the resevoir and give the grommets a smear of LHM?
Use vasline on the new ones if necessary.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

could be, the cable came with the car years ago, i have never smeared lhm on it but i can see why someone else might...... i just wonder what else in the car is slowly dissolving....anyway took everything apart put some hose clips on the cable to stop it being drawn through the bulkhead and should hold until i can get another cable
pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Post by pete_wood_uk »

Having just bought a new cable assembly "kit" from Citroen, I can vouch that the £30 kit does seem to come with all manner of grommity things, most of which will probably languish at the back of my cupboard until I throw them away...
Pete
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

May be it's mande from old Alfa's and it's gotten wet.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

its lasted at least three years mate cant be old alfa bits