xantia diesel cold start solenoid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

brianr.uk

xantia diesel cold start solenoid

Post by brianr.uk »

i am about to change the cold start solenoid on my 1993 xantia 1.9td.i have read the haynes fairy story book and it says to replace the sealing washer on the solenoid.i bought the new unit from gsf in birmingham but it doesn't come with a washer and they don't know what material the washer should be but don't sell them .the local spares shop say they think it is a rubber 'o' ring but weren't sure can anyone out there tell me what it should be before i take the old unit out and am left dashing about trying to find a washer.
thanks all in advance
brian
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Go to your local plumber and get a suitable copper or alu washer. Less than £1.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

A few years ago I had this problem with one of my C15D, so I used a liquid gasket compound such as 'Hylomar'.
Lasted for years without problems , and unlike when there was a gasket there it didn't leak.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My local friendly factor has a box of miscellaneous washers - get a copper one, an alloy one and a rubber 'O' ring - don't suppose it will cost you £1 and you should be safe!
jeremy
brianr.uk

Post by brianr.uk »

thanks for the replies did the job today and the washer was rubber.needed a universal joint on my wrist to get the solenoid out.
brian.