XANTIA 1.9 TD 1993 WITH POSSIBLE HYDRAULIC PROBLEM

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

macp

XANTIA 1.9 TD 1993 WITH POSSIBLE HYDRAULIC PROBLEM

Post by macp »

Hope someone out there can give me advice and assistance with the following problem?
Here's the problem for you all.
I have a 1993 Xantia 1.9 TD with 170K, yip you've got it, the one which when switched off hugs the ground.
The problem is when starting up in the morning. The hydraulic system pressurises lifting the car to the correct height and off we go, but the power steering goes intermittently heavy, only for a second or two each time, but then works again. I mean no power steering.
The brakes also feel a little strange, slow to active, which makes you want to press harder if you know what I mean!!!!!
I've heard that it could possibly be the pump? Are these just rumours?Please help, I'll soon be POPEYE if it continues.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

have you checked the fluid level, mine does that when the fluid gets a bit low (it runs a constant loss system through the leaky pipework)
macp

Post by macp »

Weety, Yip have checked that, put car to max ride level. Topped up level until disc is at top red line. Mind you when you look into resevior it looks low. Cant feel any liquid if I put fingers in. Not sure can you over fil the rese. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by weety</i>

have you checked the fluid level, mine does that when the fluid gets a bit low (it runs a constant loss system through the leaky pipework)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I understand that you have the single outlet pump with a flow divider splitting off the supply to the PAS. The flow divider is the first component in the circuit and the system is essentially the same in design and function (if not in components) to a BX.
As it seems your pressure warning light is functioning properly and goes out and stays out I think the FDV is functioning properly and that your pump is at fault. I don't understand why your brakes are strange as the system must be functioning at adequate pressure if the light is out. How old is the accumulator sphere - is it working properly - quick check - your car doesn't have anti sink so turn off the engine and sit in the boot - the car should sink then rise after 30 seconds or so. if it does it twice - excellent accumulator, once probably adequate - nothing at all - dud.
It may be that tha LHM is dirty and a flush improves the pump - or fit a recon one.
I am also assuming that the supply hose from the reservoir is in good condition - if it perishes it becomes porous and lets air in rather than LHM out - and the resulting emulsion can make all sorts of strange things happen. Have a look for evidence of air in the reservoir with the engine running or replace it with a bit of clean garden hose and see if there is any difference.
The steering needs a high volume of fluid - the suspension / brakes doesn't. The accumulator is not in the steering circuit.
jeremy
macp

Post by macp »

Jeremy,
I'm back. Have checked the reservoir. There appears to be lots of bubbles. How to decribe it's like a head of a pint but this disappears when car engine warm. Have also checked the supply hose. Looks ok. No visible cracks and its bone dry.
Your first thoughts that it is the pump. I'm now on the same lines.
Would like to undertake further investigations before having to fork out £200 for new one. As we all would.
With car running, the pump is pressurising system every 2-3 sec. Is that right? When I put my foot on brakes, pump appears to be constantly on until brakes are released? Is that also right.
Is there any further checks that can be done to confirm the pump?
If not change the pump it will be.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Pipe from reservoir perishes and as its under suction admits air rather than leak LHM outwards. Easy to check/cure - Anders advocates replacing it with a bit of clean garden hose to see if that makes any difference.
If there is air in the system just about everything will seem to malfunction so its a bit daft looking at the rest if this is a problem.
jeremy