BX hieght adjuster lever thing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevo
My Cars:

BX hieght adjuster lever thing

Post by stevo »

Hi All
Its always nice to find more sad sack citroen owners [:p].
Can anyone help with the ride hieght lever on my 88 bx16v.
The damn thing is siezed solid. As you can imagine I cant check the LHM level and I am in schtuck if I get a rear puncture.
Anyone advise where I should start to find out whats siezed?
Many Thanks
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

Search this forum for "rock solid BX lever" or similar, I seem to remember there was discussion about the thing some 1 month ago.
mikeg
My Cars:

Post by mikeg »

Hi Stevo,
We're not sad or sick. Most of us are enthusiastic, dedicated, willing to help and give advice to other citroen owners. We have three BX 1.7 td estates, one ZX td & a Xsara 1.9d estate in our family. None of us are sad or sick... well maybe??? just a tad. But on the odd occasion I must admit I do feel a bit cheesed off when things do go wrong.
Read the threads and you'll be ok.
Lol Mike
stevo
My Cars:

Post by stevo »

LMAO [:D]
I said "SAD SACKS" [:p] I thought this was a tongue in cheek sign ?
Not to be confused with sad sickos [B)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Silly question - but you are aware the lever must be pressed away from you before moving it, as it locks into notches for each position ?
stevo
My Cars:

Post by stevo »

Thanks for the replies. I tried searching the forums for rock hard and didnt come up with anything.
Hi Anders, are you the Anders from the old geocities cit site?
I am aware that you have to move the lever to the left. The lever is solid if I apply anymore force I am sure I will break the lever. Because the car is in the lower position its damn hard to get a jack underneath. Ive had a look in the haynes and cant see how the system works.
I am guessing that theres rods that connect to the pump somehow to raise and lower the car ?
Are there height adjuster components under the car that are prone to rusting?
Getting to damn cold at the moment to lie on the floor, would be nice to do some homework first [8)]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Get it up in the air and follow the rods, you will see ther are a few places where cleaning and lubrication may help, if freeing these makes no difference then you may need to look at the ride height valves, but if the car is driving normally with the self levelling working then these are likely to be okay, once you get it all moving properly its a case of "use it or lose it"
Stewart
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

Hi Stevo
Jacking the car from the very lowest point without working hydraulics, is always a problem with the standard lifting equipment.
Citroen always presumed you were able to raise the car.
Initially to give you sufficient height to use the side or trolley jack. Place a small, 75mm approx, square of heavy ply in the square recess where the side chassis joins the front cross-member and jack from this point. Inner plastic wheel arch protectors are also fastened here with a black push-in stub.
This should give enough headroom to lube the height corrector mechanisms.
Don't forget to use safety blocks under the car. Also no adjustments to hydraulics whilst your there. You may -- look very and Flat !!
Trace the front and rear linkages, rods and guides, spray with freeing agent.
Control arms are connected to both suspension hydraulic height correctors. You need to apply lube practically to these units. The front one is quite difficult to gain access. An extension to the spray can helps.
If your able to then joggle main lever and free-off, spray all points with grease.
Peter
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by stevo</i>

Hi Anders, are you the Anders from the old geocities cit site?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
If you mean the old BX Q&A by Brij - this is now found here : http://www.citroenz.com/forum/
- and yes that's me [:)]
Can only add that I really doubt you can break the lever - would bend instead.
stevo
My Cars:

Post by stevo »

Many thanks, good to seecsome old names from back in the day.