Xantia R/Suspension spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

Xantia R/Suspension spheres

Post by bernie »

When I bought my Xantia HA2 I replaced the spheres and the ride has been appauling.[:(]
I've also hydro flushed and replaced both H/Cs.
On the road the car does not respond quick enough to small bumps in the road resulting in lots of banging.[:(]
When travelling down hill to a dip and up the other side it bottoms out to the bump stops.[:(]
No noticable difference between sport and comfy modes.[:(]
I've just removed my new rear GSF spheres and compared with the old ones (believed to be genuine).
The fluid hole is almost twice the size in the GSF ones, any help on this Anders?[:)]
In contrast my BX with old spheres is excellent.[:)]
I might try the BX spheres on the Xantia.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I have just recently replaced the spheres on my VSX and had a couple of BX and CX spheres kicking around that I was going to try but was warned against it as my car has hydractive suspension.
It seems that they can't be swapped for anthing else.
If the car isn't of the hydractive persuasion, then it is possible that the spheres are the wrong ones although I've heard a flat anti sink will make them ride like **** too.
Hard for me to comment as my car has 8 spheres and 6 were blowen when i took them off. Only the two fronts were operational. (Refer thread on "bullock dray on LHM")
Alan S
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Bernie, your new spheres are probably non hydractive. Central bore diameter of those is 1.3-1.4 mm front and around 1 mm rear. On hydractive spheres, bores are much smaller
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Thanks Alan, I have followed your thread above with interest.
As you mention the anti sink sphere, I have infact replaced that too but it still sinks a bit.
I did try some rear BX estate spheres, it was too hard, when I swapped back one was still full of LHM so no gas in that one.
As one was faulty it was not a fair test but I still might try the known good spheres.
I cannot see why other spheres would not work.
As you say my replacement GSF spheres are either wrong or faulty especially with different holes in the ends. But how do I prove?
Still not talking about A/C, too bloody cold for that.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Just read your post alexx, thanks
very interesting the plot thickens
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

I've also removed my front replacement GSF spheres and the damper hole is this time SMALLER in the GSF compared to the originals.
The plot thickens [}:)][}:)]
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Any luck with this yet, Jon?
Jon

Post by Jon »

I need to know the parts numbers for the spheres that GSF supplied you in order that I can look into this matter further.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

The numbers as follows appear to be correct according to your catologue.
FRONT N45334 SP859 25/08/04
REAR N45370 SP238 21/06/04
As I say the holes are bigger in the rear and smaller in the front,than the originals, which does relate to the back being under damped (which it is) and the front too hard (again which it is).
I have also fitted new front acc,new rear anti sink and rear hydra. spheres all from GSF.
I've bought the new front hydra. sphere but at present cannot remove old one.
As I first said the ride was truly awful.
One point I notice on a French site the ACTIVA HYDRActive spheres both front and rear have small 0.7mm holes.
Thanks Jon
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

bernie, how big is in fact the difference in diameters ? Is there also a difference in thicknes of steel discs covering other 8 holes around central one ?
Jon

Post by Jon »

hm,
initial enquiries indicate the front hydractive spheres should have a 0.6 hole, and the rears a 0.5.
I'm happy that N45370 are correct for the rear, hydractive Estate, I'm double checking though that they are boxed correctly, and that our supplier is sending the correct thing. I will post again later in that regard.
Checking the frt hydractive spheres reveals a change at RP6779, and the Citroen part number becomes 5271 76, which then does all hydractive cars, including Mk2 estates. I'll find out what the difference is between these and 95666859 (N45334).
Further posts when I've finished investigations.
Jon

Post by Jon »

OK, I have found the problem, your Xantia is actually running around on non hydractive rear spheres :-(( For some reason the correct suppliers parts numbers were the wrong way round for the hydractive and non hydractive rear spheres. Matters now in hand to re-label stock correctly.
Which GSF branch did you get the spheres from?
I'll intervene to sort this out so that you get the correct spheres, please drop me a line webmaster@andyspares.com to sort.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

The hole size are as follows
Front GSF 45334 0.6mm
Rear GSF 45370 1.1mm
Front original 0.65mm
I have not measured the rear original yet
RP 8283
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

I'll intervene to sort this out so that you get the correct spheres, please drop me a line webmaster@andyspares.com to sort.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thanks Jon, your a hero, It's not true what they say about you down the pub[:D][:D][;)]
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Jon, you have me worried now.
on 23/12/02 I bought a set of new spheres from the Trafford Park, Manchester GSF for my non hydroactive Estate. The rear spheres are listed on the invoice as N45370A (part No. S27240). They are AMTEX make and there is a small label that states the manufacturing date and N45370A and a large sticky label on the box stating "SP240 Xantia Estate non-hydroactive". Are these the correct ones for the car (the ride seems to be OK even with the caravan on the back)
Richard