Swap the engine or cylinder head?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Swap the engine or cylinder head?

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I've just bought myself another project of a Xantia 2.0 16V (97P) listed below, which comes with the cambelt apparently snapped (haven't had a chance to look yet).
My other 2.0 Xantia has a perfectly good engine (mechanically) so I'm now pondering do I swop the cylinder heads or replace the engine as a whole?
Swapping engines will take longer and is a lot more grief, but I have this thought that when cylinder heads are removed the repair is prone to giving problems/failure.
So, the big question what would you do??
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Well, you won't lose anything by taking the head off, except maybe the skin on several knuckles.... though you may well find that you need go no further than the cam cover, as the cam itself may well be broken, never mind the valves or the head.....
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

If you have a known good engine then a crane will only cost about £20 for a weekend, there probably not a lot in it re the amount of hassle.
Stewart
stevieboy1
My Cars:

Post by stevieboy1 »

I think whole engine, it will be quicker than striping 2 to rebuild one and cheaper,no gaskets etc to buy. Also how good was it before the belt went? you may have to take it to bits again for another problem which would be real pain.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Whats wrong with the other Xantia for you to what too change engines over? Personnaly I'd go for the whole engine change if the good engin was in a crap body.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Thanks for the suggestions lads, the donor car has some sort of duff electrical connection which was there when I bought it. Several dealers had already looked at it before I got it and given up, now I've done the same. Basically the engine runs fine for several days/weeks then cuts out for 1-2 seconds then runs OK. So mechanics fine, electrics duff hence using it as a transplant.
What sort of timescale am I looking at for engine removal/refit on a Xantia?