Pressure Bleeding brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

simonelsey
My Cars:

Pressure Bleeding brakes

Post by simonelsey »

Quick question has anyone used one of the pressure brake bleed one man kits , and how did you get on with it .
Was it simple to use / or was a bit of a pain .Any type which can be recommended.
Just wondering as been ages since Ive done work on any cars .
Cheers
Simon
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

I have used one of those in the past and have to say it worked a treat - I think it was called 'easibleed' - its currently gathering dust in my garage. If I remember correctly it used air pressure from the spare tyre to 'pressurise' the breaking system. Since having hydraulic Citroens its kind of been replaced by using the cars hydraulic system to generate the pressure - no pumping, just a gentle pressure on the pedal (maybe a brick) then visit the bleed nipples one by one.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I've used one in the past and must say that it was an excellent device and enabled me to get Mini brakes air free eventually.
Having said that I have bled a number simply by opening the nipple and letting the fluid run out, bringing the air with it. Not necessarily the quickest way but nice and simple if I'm on my own!
Jeremy
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

One of the best kept secrets in my opinion, I always use the spare tyre just propped on top of the engine. Make sure the pressure is no highter then, say 20psi as I have had trouble with pressure leakage around the filler cap, and when it starts it empties the tyre. Have a foot pump handy too to top up the tyre.
You might have trouble getting it to seal round the resevoir on a Xantia, mind.
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

Looks like I going to have to invest in one then.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

An absolute pleasure to use.
Make sure the bleed nipples are free before you begin. Use easing oil on the threads a few days before you want to do the job.
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

yep 5thed. I've had one for years Gunson's 'easibleed'. They are made a bit cheap and nasty so after a few years the pipes harden and the joins with the vessel cap tend to leak air and you have to fiddle with it and have it hiss quietly to itself, but basically it works very well. If someone made one slightly better built for 20 quid rather than 10 that would be even better. In fact it would be very easy to build one yourself if you've got a spare cap.