Mother In Laws Pug Dipstick broken off

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Mother In Laws Pug Dipstick broken off

Post by martyhopkirk »

Which sounds painfull - but sadly isnt.
My mother in law is surprisingly mechanically apt and DOES do things like changing light bulbs and checking the oil / water.
Today she reports the end of the dipstick on her 1.1 petrol Pug 206 to have gone AWOL somewhere in the sump - apparently its plastic.
She wants to know what to do with it next as she was planning on driving to Yorkshire tomorrow. I gather this is a common problem, if it had beena metal bit I would have said sump off, but what does anyone else think????
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

Being plastic it might just float around in the oil, and could conceivably wash out of the drain hole when you next change the oil. I shouldn't think it can get anywhere nasty - like into the oil galleries - I don't think it would get past the strainer. If it was mine, I'd personally feel a lot happier though if it was on the outside of the engine.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

dont worry about it,its a very common problem on these engines like you say,never heard of one doing any damage yet,after all its only plastic,the internals of the engine would destroy it if it got anywhere near them.