Xantia Heater Fan

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cerbera
My Cars:

Xantia Heater Fan

Post by cerbera »

Hi, I have a 97 Xantia TDSX Estate and seem to have the usual problem with the ignition switch seemingly on its way out ! So the fans don't always come on unless I move the key around in the ignition. This worked fine for a while but now the fans barely come on at all. Is this likely to be the fan dieing ?? I know there is power to the fan as the rear windscreen won't work either unless the power is to the fan. Is it easy to replace the fan ? Also the heat from the blowers is either hot or cold, very difficult to get a happy medium and since I have air con/climate the auto doesn't seem to work any more.
Cheers
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The ignition switch is likely to be faulty - easy to relay to take this out the equation. Kowalski had problems with the board in his fan burning out, you might have this too - do a forum search. The lack of control is probably due to the internal temp sensor being full of rubbish / it's small fan failing. It's behind the alarm LED, so you need to get it out and clean / lube it. I have to do the same, but need to take the radio out for which I haven't got a code - hopefully I will tackle it this weekend.
cerbera
My Cars:

Post by cerbera »

So theres a thread on sorting out the ignition problem by bypassing it then ? I'm not great without nice clear directions !! [:D]
Cheers for the info !
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

Richard, when you take the radio out, make a note of the model/serial number - its stamped onto the chassis and that number should agree with any printed labels. I've some software that will reverse engineer the code from the model/serial number. Drop me an email and I'll do my best. Worst case scenario is you're no worse off - on the other hand....
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Jack,
Pulled the radio out last night so I could post the serial number for decoding as per your previous offer. Found the radio has been out for repair at some time and the code is written on it...:-)) Haven't tried it yet though as it was wet dark and windy. Couldn't easily persuade the temperature sensor out either - needs more looking at the weekend. Thanks for the offer!
jack.dempsey
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)

Post by jack.dempsey »

send me the serial number anyway - and I'll tell you what the code should be. You can compare what I give you with whats on the radio - if they're the same I'd say unplug with confidence.
jack.dempsey
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)

Post by jack.dempsey »

cerbera, have you tried whacking the fan from under the glove box. This would wake my fan up. My 97 Xantia was found to have some dodgy connections at the fan - the 'big' red connection of the multiplug was looking a bit 'charred'. Gave it a bit of a scrape to clean it and reconnected. Its been surprisingly reliable since then. If your Xantia has aircon, I think the fan doesn't get power until some seconds after the engine is started. I would have thought this would be via some relay and would therefore reduce the 'hit' on the ignition switch.
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

I had the same problem if the heated rear screens off at the same time i would say for sure its the ignition barrel plenty of help on this forum about rewiring it with a relay but i got an auto electrition to sort it cost me £40 been fine ever since.