Can Citroen C4 beat the new Ford Focus?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Thunderbird

Can Citroen C4 beat the new Ford Focus?

Post by Thunderbird »

Cheers!
A close friend is considering to purchase the new Ford Focus.
Could the citroen C4 be an interesting alternative?
Focus seems to be better built; has better crash test results; lower maintenance costs; and a more powerful petrol engine.
C4, on the other hand, is more comfortable; has some original details; a good 2.0HDi-138Hp engine; and has an aditional bunch of electronic inovations.
What do you think about it?
gardenpeas
My Cars:

Post by gardenpeas »

in a year the new focus will be parked outside half the houses in the road who wants to be that boring get the C4 it looks alot better and is hopefully the return of quirky Citroen
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I'd buy the C4 over the fatarse any day.
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

A good long test drive will make for an evaluation that transcends deceptive statistics. Having driven the downrated HDi engine in a Peugeot 307, I anticipate that the 138 hp motor in a C4 should be very nice. If self-maintaining, then maintenance costs are typically trivial for the first 150,000km. Personally, I reckon there's no substitute for a Citroen suspension . . . driving Fords is like travelling in a soulless cocktail shaker.
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

C4 for me, as i'm sure it's a great car, looks fantastic, is different from the Fucus/Ashtray standard rep issue kit and is no doubt far better value. Next time Citroen do one of their 'well pay the VAT for you' deals i'll be right in there.
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

What have they done to the Focus....... I didn't 'like' the old model, but it was ok to drive, spacious, and was a fairly attractive, or at worst a striking design.
I wondered if it looked worse in the pictures than it would in the metal, but it's quite the oposite, bland and anonymous just wouldn't do it justice!
However, as most people have ZERO imagination, and as mentioned above, they will still be on every other persons drive.
Dan
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

I can arrange a C4 for you for a testdrive... name the model and i'll check it out [:D]
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

New focus looks exactly like a mk 2 astra from a distance, search the web and you will see what I mean
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paranoid</i>

New focus looks exactly like a mk 2 astra from a distance, search the web and you will see what I mean
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yes, it does! Or the really unkind might liken it to a Daepoo Nexia! At best, it looks like that cheapo spanish made piece of sombrero wearing donkey doo otherwise known as the Seat Leon.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Hey! Don't diss the Leon! [:(!]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Head, not heart-its only common sense:if they have the money then go for the Focus, it will always be a much easier car to sell on or trade in than a C4.
Thats always been the thing about Fords, no matter how rubbish they are(although if the new Focus is as good as the old, it will be top car in its class.....I have driven the old one and it was very good), you can always sell them!!!
'Alive with technology' is a rather worrying slogan where the French are concerned.....
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Have test driven both and owned a Ford Focus. Can honestly say the C4 is far the better car. Looks , drive and all round ownership it's the better car. I mean the wife even likes it (shocker) Had the C4 for a couple of hours and focus both last week end. The C4 knocks spots off the focus. The focus just seems more of the same but a little smaller in side. The focus seats are ROCK HARD! aswell which does nothing for my back. Infact the wife has put our names down for a possible purchase of a used one later in the year. Possible Nov 05.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Look no further:
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Although the car is not for me (I prefer HP suspensions), I agree with most opinions.
However, comfort, economy, style, etc - these are important aspects, but above all, one will want it to be reliable. Since the C4 is a cocktail of new (and old) electronic stuff, I wouldn't buy one before the dust settle (in three years, maybe). Electronics complications can be a real headache.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

Yeah, I would hold back a little... the C4 may be a desirable car, but with all that technology I'd wait and see how it does in the reliability stakes I think!