servicing schedule for xantia hdi engine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano
My Cars:

servicing schedule for xantia hdi engine

Post by deano »

Hi
is there anywhere on-line that has the servicing schedule for the hdi engine ( 2.0L ), or could I just go and buy a Haynes book on say the Peoguet 406 which has the hdi engine in it? I've been not been able to find a Haynes book for a xantia with the hdi engine in it :(
Any information would be great fully received
cheers
deano
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Servicing is every 12500 miles. Personally, I think it´s too long. I do mine every 6000.
p20

Post by p20 »

Haynes don't do a Xantia manual beyond 98.[:(!] I'm changing oil on 6000 and going to do the service as set at 12500
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

12000 is perfectly adequate for quality oil changes, as the cabbie I was chatting to at xmas with the 220k mile 406 HDi 90 can ably demonstrate. Being identical to mine in all but colour I whiled away the journey by picking his brains (lordy, don't they love to talk!). He'd had no breakdowns and insisted on genuine filters and it's as quiet as my 7k mile HDi (although the interior trim squeaks and rattles a good 'un) and he wasn't the gentlest driver i'd ever met. Unless you do short, cold engine, urban jaunts all the time your quite safe sticking to Citroens recommendation. After all, if Citroen/Pug thought they could shaft your wallet for a 'necessary' extra service every 6k i'm sure they would have done.
pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Post by pete_wood_uk »

I'm not sure if that's the way it works - that they'd have stung you for more frequent servicing if they could justify it. My understanding is that it's basically geared around the company car (fleet) market - the running costs of the leasing company depend on how *few* services they can get away with. Therefore, the car that has the fewest services will get bought more often. But this is all based around a typical 4 year / 85000 mile lease - the servicing has to be the minimum possible to get the car to the end of that lease without breaking, so it can be sold on to a private punter. It doesn't matter (to the leasing company) what state the engine is in at the end of that lease.
I know a while ago that someone noticed that if you bought a renault laguna as a private buyer (I suppose someone must have) it came with 6k oil change intervals. If you bought it on fleet lease, it came with a service book for 10k intervals. Same car. You figure.
My new (ex-contract hire) Xantia HDi is going to get fresh oil every 6k miles, I think; its previous service history seems to have been pretty fitful. Still, it ain't burning oil, so it doesn't look like too much harm has been done, I suspect it spent a lot of its previous life on motorways (ie few cold starts) which is always good for a diesel engine.
Cheers
Pete
deano
My Cars:

Post by deano »

Hi
cheers for all the replys :) I have not worded my origininal post very well, what i'm after is info on major and minor services, what is required, or is every service on a hdi a major one?
Having read threw the post with the debate on service intervals i'll probably go for 8kmiles middle of the road then :)
TIA
Deano
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Why not get the Haynes for the old Xant and stick to their schedule? Although oil in an HDi is expected to last longer, everything else is the same - coolant is still coolant, LHM is LHM, air filter, timing belt etc etc.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Why not get the Haynes for the old Xant and stick to their schedule? Although oil in an HDi is expected to last longer, everything else is the same - coolant is still coolant, LHM is LHM, air filter, timing belt etc etc.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

I knew I should not have had that lunchtime drink, because I'm now seeing double ! [:D] ^^
deano
My Cars:

Post by deano »

ok,
cheers for the posts :D I'll follow the schedue for the old xantias.
cheers
Andy
p20

Post by p20 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ralph</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Forgive me for sounding stupid here, but this is my first citroen and first diesel.[:o)] How relevant is the older Haynes manual for the later cars?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The later Xantias have the HDI engine which is different in some ways to the older TDs and similar in others, the clutch and gearbox are also a little different to what went before.
The suspension, steering, bodywork and most of the electrical bits are pretty much the same, although there are some new bits on the later post facelift Xantias e.g. traffic master, side airbags etc.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

I've just posted a link in the Handy Links forum to info in Peugeot's site about service intervals and the like. Much of the info will apply to Cits too, natch.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=11513
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

If your car has a service history book, the servicing items should be clearly listed somewhere in it. On mine it is on the tear off slip adjacent to the relevant mileage stub. (a bit like a cheque book)
Servicing intervals are extended by the use of semi or fully synthetic oil as it breaks down more slowly then mineral. I remember some (petrol) Peugeots had(have?) 20,000 intervals which seems excessive, but they wouldn't do it if wasn't any good for the car surely.
In response to the above post for Lagunas with different intervals for retail and fleet: This makes sense to me as there are catering for the masses who on a whole as fleet will do (less damaging) motorway miles and as retail more 'combined' driving necessitating more frequent oil changes. Just a thought - it seems sensible really!