ZX sized brake dum

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dozer

ZX sized brake dum

Post by dozer »

Can anyone help me out I have need to know how to remove seized drum brake. I have removed road wheel hub nut but the drum is fast. Have tried levering, hitting it, but nothing. I am total unable to rotate the drum / wheel in any direction.
Any idears???
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I had this on a nova. I found a big 3 legged puller got it off, but it broke all the springs & mounting clips that hold the shoes in place. Wasn't a huge problem as they are cheap from Motor Factors.
Its another reason I hate drum brakes.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Any automatic/manual or handbrake adjustment for shoe wear must be re-winded to let the shoes free the wear lip inside the drums.
Often the trick is to unhook the handbrake cables, then some tapping & fiddling suddenly releases the drums.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Should be a small hole in the back plate just for this occasion. Lever out the grommet and put a flat blade screw driver in. You should be able to wind back the shoe adjuster or at least get the soes to contract. Hope this helps.
dozer

Post by dozer »

Thanks guys
The three leggeed puller - are you taking about a 3-Pce / leg Gear Puller Set or a Universal Hub Puller?
I`ve slackened off the handbrake completely & can`t get to unhook the hand brake cables
The recover machanic said that the brake linings from 1 shoe could have come free and wedged under the second one. I quick drive round the block seemed to produce a lot of smoke from the drum!
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Use a thin screwdriver through a wheel bolt hole to unwind the self adjuster.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Hub puller - last resort tho as it could damage the outer lip on the drum.
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

completely slacken handbrake cable, with screwdriver thro hole in drum, push the handbrake lever attached to the shoe inwards. this allows the arm to move past the stop point(on arm where hits shoe) allowin shoes to move inwards towards center shaft and hence give more room
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

What Richard says is correct and the safe way. If your Handbrake lever is tight/siezed on the shoe, then you will have to help push the lever back aswell as pushing the lever inwards as Richard says above.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Mine was like this when I needed it off. I found that one hand brake cable had seized solid, so I wiggled it about a bit to free it up, and drum more or less fell off (after a few taps with a large hammer). [:)] Dont know if this helps, but it isnt the first time ive seen it happen. Incidently, after soaking the handbrake cable in WD40, its still ok, although nearing retirement...
Since my car may be getting written off (was in smash a week ago, some plonker in a 4x4 thought it might be a good idea to play bumper cars)Im not too bothered about replacing the cable as of yet.