1.4i Flatspots

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

1.4i Flatspots

Post by rossnunn »

I also have this problem so I though I'd copy the post it here, see if you guys can shed some light:
<i>hi,
i drive a ZX 1.4i elation, recently every time i drive off in the morning or when the car's been left for a while i get really serious flat spots and it makes it feel like your driving through a big puddle!!!
it only happens for a few seconds, but i'm sure you can appreciate that when trying to nip out of a junction lack of acceleration can be serious!!
once the problem has cleared the rest of the journey is fine!
i've serviced the car, so fuel filter, air filter sparkplugs, etc have been changed, ruleing out these being the problem. i've also checked out the injector which is spotless
this is a bit of a 'needle in a haystack' problem, but i'm hoping that somone else has had the same and has an idea how to fix it
cheers </i>
Although when I went to fill up the oil in my ZX I was greeted buy a nice smear of white mayo, so a new engine WILL be going in.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Doesnt the 1.4 have a constant flatspot? :P but seriously no idea im afraid. My 16v used to Mayo up a shocking amount. I cleaned out what pipes I could a couple of times then did an oil change, cleaned out what I could then took it on the god almight thrash of its life and they were fine after that except a tiny amount in 1 of the small breather pipes. Maybe if you do short journies its not helping it?
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

aaah I know the 1.4 lumps had it. 90K is coming up fast, its peeing oil like nothing, the gearbox feels tat, its got a low end knock, probably a noisey tappet & there is a dry bearing in eaither the PAS pump or the alternator. So its going. I haven't made up my mind with what but minimum will be a low milage 1.4 MPI. A 2.0 Turbo would be nice but the insurance alone would kill it.
I'm looking at several options but need to ring insurers first. The main problem with a engine change is driveshafts, one of those things I'm unlikley to know about untill the engine's in.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

This is in a '02 Clio - ok its a 1.2 but see the drivvers side engine mount, similar?
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Well in that its in the same general area. It looks nothing like the one in my zx/visa although the 1.4/1.6 zx's may have had slightly different ones. Ive not heard of renault engines fitting before other than the older v6's I think. You can get 1.9i volcances for £3-400 running on ebay. Your best bet may be to look for a damaged zx, one thats had a rear end smash, any one, 1.6/8/9 and then you would get it cheap and at least know all the bits are there at the front. You say insurance will kill say a 2T but then unless you bolt in another identical 1.4 you dont know what trouble you will have with little bits of wiring etc that you may need to pay someone to sort out.
this sounds ideal http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 88458&rd=1 and not too far from you although finishes in 30mins
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Dads a Auto sparky so no huge problem with electric's. I think before I do anything I'll ring round some insurance people, I feel like depressing myself for a hour or so lol
The trouble with that was the milage.