Diesel Xantia filled with petrol

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

druist

Diesel Xantia filled with petrol

Post by druist »

I did a thread last week about this and got only one comment saying to syphon it off - unfortunately this cant be done on the Xantia 1.9l D because it has an anti theft device in the petrol tank
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Just a thought: disconnecting the fuel line from the tank (before going to the pump?) and letting the fuel go to a small tank/deposit.
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

druist -- Just seen your post and I believe you only ran a short distance after misfueling, so I hope ?? no major engine damage.
Not to familiar with Xantia fuel tank set-up but can offer some general pointers that may help.
Disconnect supply hose to fuel filter and blow back -- at low pressure, fuel into main tank.
If you can gain access to the fuel tank via sender unit, remove, pump/siphon all fuel. Jacking front and/or rear as high as possible to tilt tank to gain access to remainder.
Soak old fuel filter and fill housing with 10% engine oil added, to provide additional lubrication to fuel pump on stat-up.
Brim fuel tank if possible to dilute any remaining petrol. Bleed system, start and allow to tick over only, for about 5 mins. If ok --I hope ?? Fit new fuel filter.
R
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

druist.
Read your post again. You must get out of the habit of calling your fuel tank a petrol tank LOL.
Is that from the previous car ??
Place a big sign near the filler to remind you -- Diesel Only.
Hope all goes well. Let us know.
R
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

to get at the tank if you lift the offside rear seat you will see a big round plastic cap that unscrews (disconnect the wiring plug first)...when that is of you can lift out the faul gauge and you have a nice big hole to get the petrol out of
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

must admit to doing this one myself, only once though - just plain forgot which car I was in, It was only one I got back in to drive of I twigged.
I hadn't started mine but the advice to blow back fuel and odd oil to fuel filter sounds good.
Disconnect the fuel flow/return hoses and insert into 5L tank of diesel and secure under bonnet. now you can start the car and get home.
put the car on stands/ramp/pit and look for the drain point on tank - It's just a clip that needs undoing.
try and find a use for 65L of petrol/desel mix.....
mipzter
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

One important tip omitted, from a safety angle.
When draining fuel -- mainly petrol, from any vehicle, always place the delivery tube at the base of any container and avoid free falling products. This reduces any static build-up.
Ideally, metal containers should be bonded - a jump lead works well, and connected to the vehicle before any transfer commences.
Advertise the 65ltrs as a 2-stroke mixture, would run most agricultural/gardening engines with a 30-50:1 mix
R
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Xantias don't have an anti-sypthon device, if they do its not very good..........
The problem you have is that the filler pipe has a tight turn in it.
The best technique is to blow down the syphon pipe, whilst turning/pushing it in until you can 'feel' full air bubbles being formed. Then hold the pipe in that position and suck etc. Jacking up the car on the N/S does help to remove more of the fuel.
You should with practice be able to remove all apart from about the last 10-15 litres.
AWG
My Cars:

Post by AWG »

Practice? I didn't think repetition was advisable.