BX19RD idle speed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mfle
My Cars:

BX19RD idle speed

Post by mfle »

I have noticed that the idle speed has been increasing - the adjuster on the injection pump is now full back but it still seems a little fast - any ideas what might be causing this - the motor otherwise runs very well and there are no problems with the throttle cable.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Check the fast idle waxtat unit in the thermostat housing, it has a cable going to a lever on the injection pump, it should pull the cable when the engine is cold and let it out when the engine is hot.
Dave
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Did I read somewhere funny things happening with the Lucas pump if air gets into it? Or was I dreaming (having a Bosch one where air = no go)..
mfle
My Cars:

Post by mfle »

Many thanks - it looks like its the Waxstat as you describle, either the cable seized or the whole thing is defective are they cheap / readily available?
Many thanks
Mike.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

I think GS&F do the part - which might be your best option. The part should be universal for XUD diesel engines. Bear this in mind if Peugeot have a larger customer base in Australia than Citroen. The XUD also turned up in Rovers in the UK, and I'm sure the 1.9 XUD has been used by a couple of Japanese or Malaysian manufacturers. I don't know the current UK price.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Its GSF N18860 GBP£9.50 + vat.
The Citroen OE ref is 164753, and its £17.55 in the UK.