Why is the ZX unpopular with many?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

The only reason I got a ZX was because I noticed that is was about the only 3 year old car I could get for four grand (apart from anything really crappy like a Lada or something). That was a 1.4i Pazazz in 1997 - I never thought my first car would be a Citroen!
I had it for seven years, so it can't have been that bad. But it had lots of minor but expensive niggles (driveshafts, bushes, heater blower, front brake discs, etc.) that seem fairly common problems. The Volcane (facelift model) feels a lot better put together, and still feels great to drive compared to much more modern cars.
Paulee
My Cars:

Post by Paulee »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bxbodger</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">'Why is the ZX unpopular with many' <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Because its got a double chevron badge!!! Had it been a blue oval or a gryphon instead it would have sold in droves.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So very true , whenever I am asked my opinion on small cars I always suggest buying a ZX to people to be greeted with "but its a Citroen"
I owned a Xsara HDI as my introduction to Citroens (it was chipped lowered and running on 205/40 17") it was fast and furious but I sold it for a Volcane TD which is a much better car all round, and seems better built ?
I covered 80,000 in it in 2 1/2 years and now my partner uses it and absolutely loves it.It is now approaching 140,000.
I think the volcanes ane 16v feel much better than the other models and have a "big car" feel about them that you don't get with a Ford or Vauxhall.Its not as good as my Xantia on the Motorway but is better in all other areas.
When the Zx dies it will be replaced by another Volcane........nuff said.<font size="6"></font id="size6">
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

We own both a Zx Volcane and BX TZD, they are both very different cars to drive even though mine both have the same engine. overall the zX feels better put together, nippier round small nadgery bits but somehow does not have the poise of the oleo car at speed,probably due to the bX being a larger platform with the wheels firmly at the corners, as for popularity let the fashion victims shell out thousands for their 306Dturbos while we get essentially the same vehicle for a few hundred.
Stewart
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Well, I love em, I think they still look modern and the later models with the vented grille look really good (ok im biased, I own one). I think the volcane style ones look really sporty, and basically having owned 4 of them, I think they are probably the best small affordable hatchback you can get. I cant see why people like the 306 so much, I think they are hideous looking cars, and as for fords and vauxhalls - they rust like its going out of fashion. A mate of mine has a p reg fiesta and theres more rust on that than I have ever seen on any BX, ZX or even AX and Xantia. In my opinion - best small hatch, especially with the 1.9TD lump, quick and economical to boot.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

I agree the ZX looks really good... not boring like some of the indeterminately styled splodgy blobs proliferating nowadays. And here in west Cumbria there are a lot around, which says something given that it's quite hilly with twisty roads and the sort of place where a car is often a serious essential so having two is a good idea (in our case, the ZXsxTD plus a mk.1 Xantia TD estate).
Btw, when it had to be run in the very bad gales a few days ago the Xantia was brilliant, just as it had excelled for comfort while stuck in that ten-hour traffic jam outside Carlisle just before Christmas.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

ZX TD avantage model. Great car, great MPG, cheap to own and repair if you know where to look. Still see it driving around my home town it's now on 7 owners (I was 6th) and going strong. I sold it with 165k on the clock 12months ago and it's being used for buisness now buy a local builder, handy man. Still going strong. Easy to repair made from broken lego bricks melted down and old Lada arts. Great car, would have another at the drop of a hat for messing around in but the wife wont let me.
ndaisley
My Cars:

Post by ndaisley »

I sold my BX GTi with regret at the end of the year once I realised how much it was costing me, and got a ZX 1.9D instead. It takes a hell of a lot longer to crank it up to 60 or 70mph, but it stays there well. Very glad to have got a good example (even on 153k miles!) - a friend has put 100k on her infallible ZX TD driving around the Scottish Highlands - beautiful scenery but punishing for any car - and it was very much on her recommendation that I went looking for a ZX diesel. Today I lent mine to another friend who was rude enough to say on handing the keys back 'it doesn't really 'do' acceleration, does it?' which is kind-of true - but already I am seeing the advantage of the economy.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Lets see:
--Now daravi steering
--No high pressure brakes
--No **proper** suspension
--No center point steering
I really can't see why Citroen enthusiests tend to think of it in an unpopular way. But hey, what would I know, I've never even seen one, let alone driven one.
seeya,
Shane L.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

I liked mine when it was working, but I think I bought a dud!
I would have preferred a Volcane TD though, they are great looking (but I prefer the 3 door 306 for looks!)
The Avantage without alloys and with the tiny 13" wheels looks quite dull. And the bodywork damages very easily meaning a lot of the older ones look very tatty now.
Volcane TD though... was this the first diesel hot hatch? something which is now a growing trend!!
AthlonZX
My Cars:

Post by AthlonZX »

One of my freinds has spent the last 2 years trying to convince me that the 306 is a better car than the ZX. In terms of styling I might agree (though I think the ZX has aged well in Aura and Volcane trim specs), but in every measurable sense of driving performance I've always felt the ZX is better car to drive (because it's lighter).
The problem I have now though is finding another decent one locally(Derby). I've cracked the cyclinder head in mine which means that it doesnt have long to live. Allot of people who buy them now, tend to buy them very cheap...and dont look after them (very much as happened with the BX). As the 306 is essentially a ZX in a different set of clothes I might have to get one of those if I cant find a tidy Volcane soon [:)]
AthlonZX (Dave)
Citroen ZX Aura K-1993 133977 miles (now with optional anti-freeze fountain [:I])
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

What's not to like about the ZX? I own a ´94 Volcane 2.0 8 valve and even today, it puts many "superior" cars to shame, not only in the engine department but also in handling. The self steering rear axle DOES the difference and the brakes, oh the brakes. How many Hondas would like to brake like that. Or the torque, how many Japanese cars would kill to have that same amount of torque? Sure they rev to 7000+ RPM, but do they keep pulling as strong in 4th gear? I don't think so.
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

My sister in law has a Volcane and a good friend has a Avantage TD, both of which come to me for service and repairs. Both are swift, reliable, spacious, cheap to run/service/fix/insure very comfortable and (in the case of the TD), economincal. There is a hell of a lot worse out there for a lot more money. One of the best kept secrets of the '90s methinks.