Charging light and Heater problems!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SethY
My Cars:

Charging light and Heater problems!

Post by SethY »

What a fantastic forum, I’ve already sorted a few of my Xantia ailments from here before having to post. I now need some of you advice on a matter I’ve not previously seen on here.
Here’s the problem:-
When the keys are put in the ignition and the ignition is on (before the engine is started) the blower motor now runs without the engine running (this never used to happen, I assume a problem with a relay?). There is a ticking/buzzing noise somewhere in the dash for a few seconds before the blower starts that sounds like a jammed motor.
Then when the engine is started the Battery charging light is on and dims slightly as the revs increase. The heater blower motor runs very slowly and keeps stopping (motor speeds up a bit as the revs increase and the charging light dims).
When the blower speed selector is not on ‘Auto’ the motor runs as normal (but the charging light stays on).
I would suspect the battery but these symptoms see very strange, also the car starts ok and the headlights are not dim.
Any Ideas what to check first? Car is a 1997 Xantia 19TD with A/C and Climate control.
Thanks,
Seth.
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

I think your jammed motor sound (sounds a bit like a cassette player does when it jams ?) is almost certainly the little fan at the back of the dash, near to the clock and behind the alarm warning light, that draws air over sensor to control the heating (climate control). It is possible to blast a suitable light lubricant through the grill which may quieten it down for a bit. One of the instant maintenance sprays should be fine. The fan is a couple of inches back so don't be afraid to stick the little spray tube well into the grill opening. This worked for me. Your other problems sound rather like a bad electical connection, probably an earth problem - but not exclusively. I'd start by checking the earth points below/beside the battery as a 'starter for ten'. Good luck !
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

Also check the connections to the blower motor on the passenger side under the glove box. You need to loosen a couple of screws holding the carpet to get access, there is a single block connector (thick red wire) and a larger multi wire block going to the fan motor assembly. This is a common point of failure (the larger block).
SethY
My Cars:

Post by SethY »

Oh heck, just what I was dreading! Does anybody know where I can get some decent wiring diagrams/schematics for the A/C Xantia. The ones in the back of the Pain’s Manual are not very helpful as they don’t seem to cover the Air Con model. Looking at what is in the manual, the battery connects to one side of the charging light, the alternator to the other along with a box marked 80--. What’s inside 80-- I wonder?
beezer

Post by beezer »

Here is a schematic. If you need any specific info I will see what I can do.
M62 AC air mix control motor
Y11 AC compressor clutch
K143 AC compressor clutch relay
A63 AC control module
B53 AC evaporator temperature sensor
B159 AC fascia vent temperature sensor
B160 AC footwell vent temperature sensor
S149 AC master switch
S341 AC refrigerant triple pressure switch
K17 AC relay
M7 AC/heater blower motor
S292 AC/heater function control panel
G1 Alternator
31 Battery -
30 Battery +
X1 Data link connector (DLC)
A35 Engine control module (ECM)
M6 Engine coolant blower motor
A95 Engine coolant blower motor control module
K12 Engine coolant blower motor relay
B24 Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
P4 Engine coolant temperature gauge
F Fuse
S3 Headlamp switch
15 Ignition switch - ignition ON
B37 In-car temperature sensor
R4 Instrument illumination rheostat
B61 Outside air temperature sensor
SethY
My Cars:

Post by SethY »

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I’ll be spending most of the weekend with my head in the passenger footwell! I’ll let you know what I find.
SethY
My Cars:

Post by SethY »

I got my Multi-meter out over the weekend and found that the battery voltage sat at around 12.5V when the engine wasn’t running and the ignition was off. As soon as I started the engine this dropped to about 11V. Am I correct in assuming that the Alternator has had it?
SethY
My Cars:

Post by SethY »

Well it was the Alternator after all!
When replaced, all of the odd problems with the heater etc. that I was having disappeared.
Only problem now is the interior lights don't work any more.... at all. They used to come on when the car was unlocked by remote or when the door was opened. Now nothing at all. Any Ideas?