ZX Volcane TD electrical thingy.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paulee
My Cars:

ZX Volcane TD electrical thingy.

Post by Paulee »

Whilst replacing the horn on my ZX today I noticed in the wiring near the horn (front of nearside wheelarch) a canister shaped item 3 inch by 1/2 inch approx with a 3 wire connector to it.It looks like it has rubbed against the loom (or got very hot and melted it) and caused a short on a feed to a spare 2 wire connector.
So the good news is I have solved the battery drain (it wasn't the alarm) but I would like to know what the canister is ? and the spare 2 wire connector.
Haynes wiring diagrams don't help and I cannot trace the cable to it.
Any ideas ???
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Doesn't the Volcane have an air horn, and is the canister the compressor for the horn? I think the 2-wire connector is for the conventional horn fitted to 'lesser' cars.
Jon

Post by Jon »

3 inch x 1/2 inch with 3 wires sounds like the dim dip resistor to me.
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Passenger side wheel arch ?
Canister is part of the air horn but mine is bigger diameter than 1/2 " more like 1.5" to 2". If is the same should see two clear(ish) plastic tubes coming out of it, one just hangs there and is the intake (hence filter on the end) and the other goes to the horn part (forget technical name).
You should also have two electrical connectors, one going to the horn and a spare. there were two connectors on my old 1.9D so stnd wiring loom. On mine there is a second air horn in the engine compartment but this is a (welcome) previous owner mod.
Paulee
My Cars:

Post by Paulee »

Jon is right ,thanks... I know it wasn't the air-horn compressor as that is what had failed on the horn and I replaced it with a "lesser" Fiamm horn which was £6.99 from my friendly accessory shop, and it is louder than the air horn !
On the point of the dim dip resistor is it prone to overheating ?
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

Well it has to dissipate most of the power that would normally 'fully' light your dip beams - so when you've only got side lights on (i.e. dip beam) the resistor will be working hard. I don't think its wise to have it in contact with other cables - 'cos I'd expect it to be hot enough to melt the PVC on them, which is what you've found. I wouldn't consider it to be faulty though - when it fails you'll get no dim dip, and no heat whatsoever from the resistor.
Paulee
My Cars:

Post by Paulee »

That sounds reasonable Jack , as a precaution I did mount it away from the loom , looks like either Citroen or a garage in the past cocked it up as the way it was "tie-wrapped" to the loom didn't look original.
Thanks to all on this item......