XANTIA - MOT

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevieO

XANTIA - MOT

Post by stevieO »

I've just had my xantia MOT'd (passed) but have been told that the steering rack is on its way out and that the brake pipe hoses are splitting (not gone through yet). Any ideas as to what I would be looking at cost wise. Vehicle is a 94 1.9TD with 147K on it. I'm not mechanically minded so would need to put it into a garage.
Many thanks
lexan
My Cars:

Post by lexan »

My advise would be to enjoy using it for the next year and send it to meet its maker when the MOT runs out.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Hoses, about a tenner each and 30 minutes per side to fit.
Rack - depends on the problem. It may be possible to rebuild the inner ball joints easily, or it may be a recon rack needed. Check the GSF online shop for prices (Follow the "Home" link at the top of the page.
If you're near Devon, I can recommend a good trustworthy garage who could give you an honest opinion.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Just had a look myself in the shop.
Rack gaiters anout 11 quid, and the axial joints between 10-12 quid each. These are the common wear points in a rack.
Looks very fixable, so long as your garage isn't trying to stitch you up on the job.
If I were DIY'ing it (and the axial joints could be done without removing the rack from the car) I'd expect to get both bits fixed in 4 hours-ish.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

My Bx failed its mot because the front to rear pipes were 'rusty', I took the car home, gave the pipes a good clean with a suede shoe brush (soft wire brush) and the coated them with waxoyle, took the car back and the guy passed it with flying colours. The car then drove for 5 years before a pipe went.
Hoses splitting are a simple job to sort out as are gaiters. axel joints aren't that hard either.
And as for letting your car meet its maker in 12 months time, well, poppycock!!!!
These cars will run for ever, My Xantia has done almost the same mileage as yours and flew through its mot in November.
Paul
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

Wrinklet1 I think Lexan's point (which I totally agree with) was that the cost of parts and a garage repair will mean it is uneconomical to repair the car. With the prices of 1997 and older Xantias being so low any bill over £400 for a car older than 1995ish means it's time for a new one.
You then have the luxury of having a source of spare parts for your replacement car. Strip off the consumables and then scrap it. If scrappies won't take it then just weigh it in at the local scrap metal merchant. At current prices you should get about £20.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">At current prices you should get about £20<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Round here there are a number of dealers who will take any car away at your convenience and give that sort of money for it - apparently scrap values in the Far East are so high that they'll pay a good price for anything. I cleared a load of old appliances, old car bits (U/S but kept 'just in case')and other junk recently while the going was good.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

I agree that there are cheap cars around, but it would probably be better spending (say) £600 pounds fixing your existing Xantia if it's otherwise reliable, rather that spending the same (or less) money on a replacement car.
People generally don't get rid of a car if it's any good, any you'll probably be buying someone elses overdraft from them. A £400 pound Xantia would make me run away, very fast!
lexan
My Cars:

Post by lexan »

My point was made not knowing how long stevieO has had the xantia, its condition and how much he's already spent on it.
I was Assuming that at 11 years old and with 147k miles its going to have bits weaar out fairly regularly from now on - the steering rack for example.
I personally wouldn't want to fork out for a new rack, only to find the clutch starts slipping, or a couple of spheres go u/s.
At the moment he's got a car with 1 years MOT. Lets face it xantias don't hold their price so you can get an excellent one very cheap, so I would run for that year spending the minimium on maintenance (ie if something stops working but the car is still usable, safe and legal then don't repair it). It may be that he is happy that the mechanical condition is good and he likes the car etc in which case it would be his choice to repair it.
stevieO

Post by stevieO »

Many thanks for all your advice. I've had the car some five years (cost me £1200) (it replaced a BX). In that time years all it has cost me, apart from service parts, cam belt, brakes, discs, fluid etc is an alternator. All in, I love the car and have since I got it. It has been super reliable and the engine is still top notch and bodywork and interior still in good nick. Following the advice, I tend to get the bits done in stages and take it from there. Whilst there appear to be a good range of Xantia's avaialable any used purchase will need a couple of hundred spent on it (cambelt, service, tyres etc). In this instance it realy is better the devil you know
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I entirely agree with your sentiment Stevie. everything i've bought has needed some money and work to 'break it in' to a standard that I'm happy with - and I've never subscribed to the arguement of drive it till it gives up as somewhere along the line you get a car that you don't trust or is getting dangerous. Small things go which themselves aren't particularily expensive but you thing - well i'm crunching it in 3 months so I'll leave it.
Citroen racks seem nore user serviceable than most - for example you can get re-con pinions (with PAS operating valve) for BX and even a pinion valve recon kit (which may be impossible to fit). I don't know if this is the same for Xantia's
jeremy