Clutch shudder/sticking Xsara

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

funkster
My Cars:

Clutch shudder/sticking Xsara

Post by funkster »

Hope someone can help..
Changed the clutch at 69,000 miles, not an original part.
Done 19,000 miles on the new clutch and problems are already coming to the surface.
On setting off in first the car shakes/shudders and the clutch pedal has started to stick a bit half way down. The pedal sticks especially very badly when the engine is turned off.
I've heard about the cable becoming dry, but I don't suppose it's that seeing as the clutch is making the car shudder in first gear.
Can't be clutch wear at 19,000 miles!!
PS I don't rest my foot on the clutch or treat it badly otherwise. A lot of stop/start driving though so it is used a bit.
Help appreciated... please don't say new clutch ;-(
funkster
My Cars:

Post by funkster »

PS--- It's a Xsara 1.6
LeFrog
My Cars:

Post by LeFrog »

I have no diagnosis for you, but I have similar, but milder symptoms on a 1.8 that's done 30,000 miles. The mechanic said that the clutch has probably worn unevenly. I don't know if he drove the car or just diagnosed it based on the notes I gave him when I dropped the car off for a service.
I understand it is standard practice to replace the clutch cable when replacing the clutch. I've replace my clutch cable recently and it resulted in the pedal being smoother, but that's all. I have a habit of trying to put the car in gear (1st or reverse) before I start the car, but I often find it won't work, so I end up having to turn the engine on first.
LeFrog
My Cars:

Post by LeFrog »

I've just solved the 1st gear judder with mine. The engine mount under the battery that connects to the transmission was not tight enough. (Probably because I stripped the thread on the last one and was nervous about doing the new one up).