Xantia windscreen washer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jemboyd
My Cars:

Xantia windscreen washer

Post by jemboyd »

Whenever I try to wash my front windscreen, I hear the sound of the motor working, wipers come on, but no water. when I try to wash the back screen, back wiper comes on, but WASHES THE FRONT SCREEN!! Can anyone advise me on this crazy situation??
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

How long has this been happening ?
It's possibly ( but unlikely ), that the fluid pipes have been swapped over on the pump. I don't know how it knows between the front and back ( pump wise ), I can only assume the voltage polarity is reversed ( since there are only two electrical connections, and the pump assembly is plastic ).
Anyone done any electrical stuff on the car ? Replaced the wiper stalk assembly or anything like that ?
I'd check that all the pipes are un-blocked - perhaps worth replacing them - I'm considering it.
I have a problem where the back washer doesn't get any water, this is intermittent and has been going on for a year now, although it's low on my list of 'fix it' priorities !
Mat.
jemboyd
My Cars:

Post by jemboyd »

Just bought the car, so don't know it history. As a matter of fact, I don't even know where the pump or motor is - I just see a filler neck disappearing into the fender, and a feed tube also disappearing in to the firewall...any ideas??
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

It's at one of the lowest possible positions on the car, just waiting to be hit by a sharp object !
Kneel down at the front of the car, and stick your hand underneath the wing, the tank is clearly visible. The washer pump is situated on the side of the tank nearest the lhm pump, and is recessed into the reservoir.
At the top of the pump is the electical connection - this just springs off, then pull the pump ( from the top ) gently towards the engine. You'll feel the top come out of its holder, and then the bottom of the pump will come out ( male into female ).
Sounds complicated, but it's a 10 second job.
BE CAREFUL not to brake the male pipe connectors, if the pump is old, these can be brittle and easily broken ( as happened to me ).
Mat