STEALTH INSTALL

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

STEALTH INSTALL

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Note/reminder for Marty Hopkirk to refer to this thread:-
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=10932
Sorry Marty, but I just wanted to get your attention, and further information on the above thread 10932, thanks.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Sorry forgot, its not <i>that</i> impressive really.... but here you go....
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

But Bx's already have that stealth cover to them don't they ;-)
Dan
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Daniel B</i>

Dan
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
And so do Renault Lagunas, but sadly Xantias do not.[:(]
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Thanks for posting the pictures Marty. [:)]
<font face="Arial Black"> That install looks really good ! </font id="Arial Black">

I like the way it hides the stereo head unit. It reminds me of, and looks like, the factory installed stealth/hideaway design, that I saw on my brother's BX 19TD. Your install looks as good as a factory fitting.
To use the stereo, does the cover remove, or tilt/slide/lift out of the way ?
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

That Citroen adapter does look good - how much does it cost? To be really safe you need to stick the front of a really noddy old radio onto the outside of the door; then thieves will see a crap radio and move on. If you have an old manual tune radio then you'll have nothing else of value in the car...
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My Xantia has that same hideaway design, except mine has a little logo (a musical note) on it.
The cover tilts downwards, kind of like an upside down garage door.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ACTIVE8</i>

Thanks for posting the pictures Marty.
To use the stereo, does the cover remove, or tilt/slide/lift out of the way ?
The cover is on a dmpened spring, push down and it locks open, tap it again and it gently slides closed. This one, with the trim for the heaters rushed me £12 off eBay - dont pay any more as there are plenty out there, in fact i saw one yesterday on a VSX estate in Lees scrapyard in Preston (whihc also has a nice black leather interior too) - But they are expensive (the scrappys).
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Daniel B</i>

Dan
And so do Renault Lagunas, but sadly Xantias do not.[:(]
Yes, and it amazes me that Citroen decided not to fit it to the Xantia. [:(]
What were they thinking !
It's one of those things, with a positive security benefit which is obvious to the customer, and the cost for Citroen to make it, and factory fit it is very low. It's penny/Euro pinching to delete this, particularly if it was fitted to its' predecessor the BX.
Marty, is that eBay seller still selling more of these ?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ACTIVE8</i>
Marty, is that eBay seller still selling more of these ?
Sadly not, it was a one off. The one in the scrappers is damaged where some numpty had ripped the stereo out -or I would have taken it off myself to ebay!
It annoys the living daylights out of me that scrappers do not pay more respect to the cars, one Xantia had all its door glass broken by the fork lift, great so the doors are next to useless now. The only AX with a towbar was on the deck (no wheels) with its back end shoved against an Orion, so no chance of removing that.
I keep searching for a cheap spares or repairs Xantia to salvage bits off as I intend to keep mine on the road for a very long time, though presently lacking in storage - had to give the lock up back to the housing as a tramp had moved in [:0](they had been promissing me a new door for 3 months).
So back on Council waiting list[:(]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

But the trouble is, the question becomes: if you close the cover, so the tealeafs don't see the stereo, do they then think you have something expensive to hide?
Or do you leave it open, again inviting unwelcome attention?
Nervous paranoia beckons......
The factory stereo in one of my neighbour's Volvo 244 is the best solution:it does the neat trick of automatically reversing its face when the ignition goes off- it then looks like a face-off with the face removed.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

mother has one - came with the car! :)
p20

Post by p20 »

My Xantia already had it fitted.[:D] It now hides my Sony headunit. I just leave the cover up permantly and use the steering wheel controls.[8D]
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Yeah those covers are ruddy great, not!!!!!!!!
I learnt not to be lazy and take the stereo faceplate off and leave the flap open, the thieves then walk straight past, oh how them ruddy 'gets' broke in, opened the cover and found a stereo, then a sub in the boot and a lovely 10 cd changer in boot also, i use to like them covers, not anymore.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Talking of which , if anyone needs an audioleads Xantia to Sony steering wheel lead, give me a shout as it will fit all up to the very last Xantias (sadly not mine - 2000).