Duff Bio Fuel?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dmcclymont

Duff Bio Fuel?

Post by dmcclymont »

Hi everyone, I loaded my ZX 1.9TD up with `Bio Diesel` (Duty Paid I must point out) then it got very very hard to start indeed the other day, starts (just) goes a bit then stops, then starts (just) and goes as far as I want to to, i.e. when it is nice and warm throughout!
Now it runs okay and I am just starting to put normal Diesel back in at every oppertunity so I have got a mix of 50% norm and 50% of this suspect fuel, I have a long trip tommorow and should get back to almost 100% `dino diesel` by the end of it!
My questions are - am I likely to have done any damage, I suspect that something has gone wrong in the bio diesel process and I have ended up with a much thicker product than I was supposed to!
So does anyone think I have done lasting damage, or is there anything I should consider to get `good starting` again, or will just using conventional fuel for the next few fills do that?
As it has driven about 250 miles fine once warm I am hoping not to have wrecked it! ;-)
Cheers in advance for feedback!
Duncan.
p.s. I did run it on 100% bio fuel from a different supplier before without issue, I changed supplier because a friend got a job lot, I think I will go back to my first provider!
dmcclymont

Post by dmcclymont »

Well lots of people reading this and not replying - you can tell me if I have stuffed the car ;-)
:-)
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

It shouldn't have done any damage,you can run 'em on almost anything, but it may be best to change the diesel filter as a precautionary measure.
It may of course be an entirely different but co-incidental fault, such as failure of the glow plugs or their relay,if a change of filter and a fill of clean diesel don't improve things!!!!
dmcclymont

Post by dmcclymont »

Thanks for that, it would sum up my recent luck if it was an unrelated fault, its strange as it starts (just), runs about 3-4 mins, stalls, starts (just) then it is okay for 70+ miles and smooth as well ??? Ah well I guess time will tell, using it for 75 miles in a minute then 300 miles tommorow then I will fill it to the brim again with norm derv and see what happens.
Guess I will be using this `bio diesel` in small batches on top of conventional stuff from now on - lesson learnt (especially with the cold weather coming at the weekend!)
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Only real problems could be with pump seals and fuel filter. Doubt very much you will have stuffed the pump seals on what you describe above. I ran my ZX (Lucas pump) on a 50/50 mix in summer, dropping to about 30/70 mix of bio to dino when it got colder, and never had any problems. AX diesel running the same, HDi running on 10%, again problem free.
rotodiesel

Post by rotodiesel »

Your problem was probably low temperature fuel waxing. Put a sample in the ice box of a domestic fridge (about -12 deg C) and look for any cloudiness.
One tankful is unlikely to cause damage, but as a general comment, I would urge anyone to check the lubricity specifications of a bio fuel, before tipping it into your tank. Engines are very tolerant of fuel variations, but pumps and to a lesser extent injectors are far more critical.
I would not jeapardise £1000 worth of fuel injection equipment with fuel of unknown characteristics; you're saving quite a bit by being sensible enough to run a diesel in the first place.
rotodiesel.