Petrol Engines

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

Petrol Engines

Post by rossnunn »

Now petrol is cheaper than diesel, what's the best petrol engine to own? & What problems (if any) does it have?
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Of the psa ones it has to be old 1.9 ally lump 16v, not that im biased :) 160bhp as standard. The 2 litre as in the zx would have more if you removed the cat but its iron so heavier. Problem is people have cottoned onto bx 16v's being the same as 405 mi16's now and the engines are going for quite a lot on ebay. The only other issue with the 1.9 is when people stupidly tilt it more in the engine bay instead of getting a reshaped exhaust manifold (or bashing up bulkhead) (may not even be relevant in a zx as more room than a 205) and so they suffer oil starvation. Also if you rev them much over 8000 the wet liners can move but not really a problem unless youre building up a 260bhp+ race spec engine :)
Ive seen one zx with it fitted and it was damm quick at a sprint. Like most big citroens it fits right in and you only have to worry about some wiring issues, few cooling pipes and thats it. May even be an old thread on here where someone was talking about it.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

In what terms you mean "best" ?
As VisaGti16V clearly thinks sprint performance ?
Do you actually mean sprint performance ?
- or reliability ?
- or pull power ?
- or economy ?
- or serviceability ?
- or spares availability ?
[:D]
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

ive seen a bx 16v with 185K on it. Yes a TD may pull slightly better from low revs but get the petrol half way through its rev range it will pull far quicker. Economy, pff, I get 15mpg from my supra, do I look like economy bothers me LOL, spares I dont see as being any worse than the diesels. I think Ross wants speed and driving fun which he is more likely to get with a 160bhp petrol zx than a 90bhp diesel one and lets face it a petrol sounds a lot better and has a wider rev range for fun. However 4 cylinders sound awful compared to my straight 6 :D
Anyway it depends what hes after, cheapest option would probably be to just buy a second hand 1.9i volcane for £500 and you get zx 16v's for £600 or so when on ebay, probably work out cheaper than changing the engine in his. Youre probably looking at a grand for a Volcane TD?
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

ok I thought after I posted this may come up so;
The best petrol engine - best all rounder this includes running costs, power & insurance! not really bothered about spares so much as if it goes bang I'll throw it away! lol.
I came . < that close to buying a 2.0 Turbo out of a Xantia the other day, but took a sensible pill & walked away.
My reason for asking is that looking around engines all seem to sit around the £100 ~ £200 mark no matter if its a 1.4 or 2.0T so I'm looing for the best. With a little help from you guys!