Happy new BX!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Happy new BX!

Post by Dave Bamber »

After suffering withdrawal symptoms for too long, a BX is now gracing Chateau Bamber. It's a K plate 19TXD with 142000 on the clock, nice straight panels and a mint interior. It needs a full service and a touch of MIG on the inner wings and boot floor and some other bits and pieces, but so what, it was cheap and it is 12 years old. Bye bye Bling, hello BXmachine[:D][:D][:D][8D][8D][8D][:p][:p][:p]
Drool!
Drool!
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Oooer they do look nice in that shade of red - but the TXD I owned like that had a rather nastier shade of dark orange underneath. Hope it's as good as it looks! Now all you need are the TZD toys - which Citroen used to charge an outrageous extra grand for.....
Jon

Post by Jon »

Well done Dave, welcome to the BX Club!
PS Whats Mrs B's verdict [;)]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Wasnt that the one in Liverpool on eBay - recognised the Preston plates and thought about it myself - the lack of recent SH and cam belt worried me a bit - though I suppose not critical if your going to do them yourself.
My eBay monster has just chewed up a CV joint - though i probably did help it on its way with some angry driving and a pot hole. So guess what i am up to this weekend?[:(]
Good luck with the BX, looks nice.[:D]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Oooer they do look nice in that shade of red <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Mine's that shade of red-it won't be that shiny for long!!!
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Mine WILL be that shade of red. After I do the wheel bearing, CV joint, welding, washer bottles, tyres, spare wheel....[:)]
Well done. I think this really is the last hurrah for the BX, isn't it? Perhaps we should start stockpiling LHM pipes, PRs, etc?
Oscar
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Thanks chaps, I'm well suited with it![:D]
Jon.
Mrs B is fine about it, at least she now doesn't have to listen to me bemoaning the passing of the black one!
BTW, the Bling alloys fit a treat![;)]
Marty
It is the Liverpool one[}:)], and as you say, I'm not bothered about S/H, although it has stamps up to 72,000 in March '99. Current milage is 142,000. Faults found so far, holed inner wings near the LHM tank and air filter box, 2 small holes in the boot floor, 2 front tyres as the tracking seems to be out, throttle pedal mounting is cracked and the glove box lid is hanging off, oh , and the cam seals are leaking a bit. All standard 12 year old BX stuff then![:0] The suspension is in fine fettle with no leaks or sticking struts and the front and rear brakes don't look more than a year old. It gives the impression of being well cared for, but now needs a full service, water pump, cam belt and new LHM. Roll on pay day![:p]
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hey Dave
Handy BX tip here, when you take the MIg to the front inner wings don't forget to remove the plastic wheelarch liner first. My mate Steady made a lovely job of welding up his G reg TD, but melted big holes in the arch liners. Not to be outdone by this act of stupidity I welded some nice patches in my BX boot floor, all looked good. Trouble was, first time I filled up with diesel it split everywhere.....some "idiot" had been welding above the supplementary fuel tank in the filler neck (lucky it's a diesel eh)[:o)][:o)]
Be warned!
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I think this really is the last hurrah for the BX, isn't it?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I keep on thinking this and then end up seeing several in a day - some in extremely good nick. What HAS happened is the end of the days when there was a scrapper round every corner, seemingly. Every reason for adopting the practice I describe below (in its less extreme version).
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Perhaps we should start stockpiling LHM pipes, PRs, etc?[quote/]
erm... I seem to have been doing so for too long! At the moment, the trouble is that every time I think I don't need something and pass it on/give it away/throw it away it then becomes the very thing I need. Otherwise it's in the donor rustbucket which has been stored 30-odd miles away. The ideal situation (space permitting) is 2 BXs in one location - then you have one to refer to when you muck something up, and a donor car in which to store the bits you're accumulating (no pun intended). Unfortunately at one point I got too far with this and ended up with four (one runner, one "reserve runner", one work-in-progress-never-to-be-finished, and one scrapper). And I've got through two more since then (Thanks Tom, Paul). Still, I had fun while it lasted with the mini-fleet.
[quote]some "idiot" had been welding above the supplementary fuel tank in the filler neck <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Aha! So that was the source of the fuel leak then. I always thought the supplementary tank was thought up in order to make it more difficult to fit a tow-bar....
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Doh!!! - let's do it properly, then. Time for the preview button...that's better

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
I think this really is the last hurrah for the BX, isn't it?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I keep on thinking this and then end up seeing several in a day - some in extremely good nick. What HAS happened is the end of the days when there was a scrapper round every corner, seemingly. Every reason for adopting the practice I describe below (in its less extreme version).
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Perhaps we should start stockpiling LHM pipes, PRs, etc?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
erm... I seem to have been doing so for too long! At the moment, the trouble is that every time I think I don't need something and pass it on/give it away/throw it away it then becomes the very thing I need. Otherwise it's in the donor rustbucket which has been stored 30-odd miles away. The ideal situation (space permitting) is 2 BXs in one location - then you have one to refer to when you muck something up, and a donor car in which to store the bits you're accumulating (no pun intended). Unfortunately at one point I got too far with this and ended up with four (one runner, one "reserve runner", one work-in-progress-never-to-be-finished, and one scrapper). And I've got through two more since then (Thanks Tom, Paul). Still, I had fun while it lasted with the mini-fleet.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">some "idiot" had been welding above the supplementary fuel tank in the filler neck <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Aha! So that was the source of the fuel leak then, Jon. I always thought the supplementary tank was thought up in order to make it more difficult to fit a tow-bar....
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I have a garage full of bits but is it enough? the days when they were in every scrapyard piling up seem to be ending.
Stewart
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Good tip about the arch liner Jon, I can see the liner through the hole but never thought of that. The boot floor welding is on the other side, thus avoiding any fuel tank sillyness[:D]
Had a little play earlier on, it looks like the front height corrector link has seazed. The suspension rises and falls with the adjustment lever but won't react to weight (me, considerable[:0])on the front, where as the rear corrects with me on in the boot. One more for the list.....
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

Whoa, same here with the front end. Sinks softly if I sit on the front, but will not rise, while the other end rises after 5-10 sec.
I thought of using a repair set (see http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 42769&rd=1).
Any experiences? Is it worth trying to clean current HC? If so, how do I make sure it is OK before putting it back in?
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

My money is on seazed linkage, go for that first as its the cheapest option. The height correctors are very reliable.