BX Burst Pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ian Fearn
My Cars:

BX Burst Pipe

Post by Ian Fearn »

Anybody know anything about the pipe that exits the pump at the top and then runs back down and alongside the sump into a coil on the front subframe, then into ????
Mines burst and i have no idea what this pipe does, where it goes or how to fix it.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I think that one goes to the power steering , theres a diagram/map in the book of lies that might help.
Stewart
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

On your description it sounds to me as the device you call the pump - in fact is the pressure regulator. This is the lump on engine block which holds the accumulator sphere.
From the pressure regulator a rigid pipe runs under engine to a coil at the subframe and from here into the saftey valve.
The pipe in question is the main hydraulic feed pipe from pump to safety valve.
When this pipe bursts, you have no brakes and no suspension, meaning a fatal problem on the car.
The pipe must in <font color="red"><b><i>no way</i></b></font id="red"> be repaired or attempted to. It holds an astonishing hydraulic pressure of some 170bar - beyond any common pipe repairs.
The pipe is a common and cheap spare part - and quite easy to replace DIY - like you would DIY replace a brake line on any other car make.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I stand corrected Anders, on my old GTI this pipe had a repair joint on it (1987 GTI) do not see this on all of them.
Stewart