Brake change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Twiss

Brake change

Post by Twiss »

Hello people hope u all had a great Xmas and a happy new year but that time has gone for another year and its back to life.
On my Zx 1.9td 93 k reg i want to change the brakes for better ones like EBC but not change the size, i am doing this cos i do a lot of driving and seem to be going though brakes like no tomorrow. so As can some one tell me what size the discs and calipers are and the pads. i am also going to uprate the rear drums with better shoes or pads again need to know what size the are? Eventually i will change the rear axel with volcane one to get the rear discs but for now the drums will do
Plz Help any ideas would be welcome [:)]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

According to Mr. Haynes, the ZX td came with either solid or ventilated front disce - in either case they are 247 mm dia. and originally 10 mm thick for solid, 20.4 mm for ventilated. Minimum thicknesses are 8 mm and 18.4 mm respectively.
Again according Mr. H, the rear brakes are disc (if ABS is fitted), also 247 mm dia, but only 8mm thick (min 6mm). Non-ABS have drums, 180mm dia.
//NiSk
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

On my old ZX td (avantage) I found that the brakes supplied by GSF were very good. Brembo disc's and pads. Not a lot of dust and good stopping power for little cost. Also the disc's ar vented on the ZX td. Again with the rear drums just a good new set of shoes and drums with a clean and good as new. Problem is you may have to re-new the drum bearings aswell as they come out with the drum.
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

Word of caution, EBC pads are very good, give good feel and stop you quicker than standard pads (less dust too), but they wear out quick so your gonna wear them out even quicker than your current ones.
Good set of discs and pads from GSF are probably as good as any.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Ahh so if i get EBc brake si get the stipping power i want but it comes with the cost o flive. you say that GSf Brembo pads are good,i had fitted over a year ago noew front discs and pads i think there just standard ones vented front discs and new pads / rear shoes come from unipart All brake fitted by a garage. are these brembo discs vented /grooved and got holes ? what makes them better then the standard one ?
On the drums note i would like good stopping power but with good ware are these brembo good in both ways or should i just up rste the rear drums and get these brembo discs for the front ?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

The brembo disc as far as I thought were the OE for Citroen. They are vented for the ZX TD and come with built in wear indicators. What you'll find is that with the brakes bought up to speed, new discs, drums, pads and shoes your stopping power will be better. As you know new brakes are always better than old.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

I have done some looking around on the internet and found a n www.larkspeed.com that they do BREMBO SPORT brakes discs for the ZX these are vented and have drilled holes or can have grooves. wihich would be better grooved or drilled holes
Heres a link to them
http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?c=BRE ... 037045&a=i