Deadlocking opens the door

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Panjandrum
My Cars:

Deadlocking opens the door

Post by Panjandrum »

I wondered, over Christmas, why my nearside back door (Xantia) wasn't closing properly and I had to stop up the road to close it. Naturally I blamed careless passengers. But eventually (it happened a couple of times when the door had not been opened) I realised that something more interesting was happening.
Operating the deadlocks actually opens this door - sometimes! Stop car, get out, close door, all doors are closed properly - lock and deadlock and the offending door (sometimes) pops open a bit and can then be opened by pulling at the edge. The alarm goes off. All other doors are locked and deadlocked properly.
Before resorting to more scientific investigation I'll go through a simple process of squirting oil in just in case that helps - but perhaps this has been seen before?
PJ
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi just a daft idea but could it be the child lock on that door being between the two positions , two minutes to check. regards john.
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Daft ideas are very welcome. I just twiddled the child lock and "it" happens in either position.
But observing more closely - despite the cold and dark - what happens is that the lock on that door does not always operate on first press on the plip - so when the deadlock button is pressed, it is not able to deadlock. So it seems like the locking mechanism is not operating quite right.
If I hold the door in and press the plip it locks OK and deadlocks OK then. This does make locking-up seem a bit eccentric but hey what's wrong with eccentric.
Editing in a correction to what I said in the first post.
I said that the door can be pulled open without pulling the handle. I was wrong, of course. It pops open a bit, but is still on a bit of a catch, so the handle has to be pulled to make it open.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

How about trying this daft idea :- remove the interior lock 'button' thats on the rear door, you know, the thing that you press down to lock the car from inside.
I had a problem on my car, one that when I locked the car, the lock 'bounced' back unlocked, it turned out that the 'button' was giving resistance and therefore the lock thought it should be unlocked.
Give it a try,
Paul