AAAAAAArgh - AX Alternator Light.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

AAAAAAArgh - AX Alternator Light.

Post by martyhopkirk »

Now I am hoping thta the faint glow from the alternator charge light (battery) on the dashboard was caused by the very wet weather driving to work this morning as i Truly dont think i can stand dismantling bits of engine to get at the alternator on the 1.5D.
eBay - Never again[:(]
Car: £500
Heater matrix £40 + day of sweraring.
Service £40
Cam belt £30 + day of sweraring.
Battery £35
Tyres £50
Should have kept the ZX......
Jon

Post by Jon »

Plus the cost of an alternator, £83 + VAT! [B)]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Ouch - 100 sheets! (and a day of swearing no doubt) - Do I get free delivery on that?[;)]
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Don't forget a new fan belt [:D]
Seriously, it may simply be the fan belt slipping, although mine squeals like hell every now and again, I've not seen the alternator light.
However, the handbrake light has a mind of it's own !
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Consider that a glowing alternator light can also be caused by poor earthing on the dashboard. Best thing to do is check the voltage with the engine running, it should be around 14.4 volts if the alternator is working correctly.
David Humphrey

Post by David Humphrey »

Agree with Richard on this.Had a 405 which had this fault.The alternator was fine.Happened to me after a bulb blew on the dash display.
David
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Will check voltage tomorrow - too dark and windy now to be prodding about with digimeter.
However.... Light gone out now its not wet! Discovered something else though on the way home lost my washer bottle!
Went to squirt windows - nothing. Stopped at garage to fill up with water and no washer bottle... The top spout had come unscrewed allowing the bottle to drop (probably spewing its contents over the alternator) and its obviously got caught in the wheel and been pulled off (thought it was a can I had run over).
So next stop scrappy's!
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Taking, or collecting ?
Sorry, couldn't resist !!
I find when the weather is "damp", I actually get less squealing from the belt, presumably because it's slipping so much ( but still no light ).
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Scavaging (washer bottle).
Had a Mk 1 Fiasco which used to do the same thing - could ward it off by soaking the alternator connections in waxoil once every few weeks, but a really tremendous downpour could halt the car. The first warning was always the alternator lamp glowing faintly. - Once it was treated every few weeks it used to survive the rain. Drove to work today lights, radio and other electrical stuff on and no glowing lamp.
BTW did "fan" belt when i did the cam belt.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The old escrot diesel had a similar problem, the alternator was the lowest thing on the engine, spent most of its time underwater in winter.
Stewart