Explosion and smoke when pulled handbrake on...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Ive been in an accident when pyrotechnic seatbelt pretensioners have fired.
They are a very very good bit of safety kit, I still cant understand why Peugeot / Citroen have STOPPED fitting them & gone for the seatbelt real mounted ones.
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Just had a look and compared buckles to friends 306 - they look fine.
Hence big bang and loads of smoke must be related to switch, possibly the yellow box (whatever that is) and actual cable mechanism itself.
Will keep using the wooden chocks till the weekend and keep u posted on findings. Where are those thermals....
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

does this yellow box have lot of orange wires coming out of it? If so it's part of the whole pretensioners / airbax system.
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

The yellow box is the seatbelt pretentioner, my dads one in his Aura went off while he was driving trough town, his hadnt had the recall modifications done, which by the way can be verified by the "XB2 XB3 R1995/64" sticker as in the engine bay.
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

yeah it does, its about 2cm by 3cm by 1.5 cm deep. figured it was but haynes half truths doesn't mention it at all...just wanted clarification, cheers
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Central locking control box is also in there and about that size
Ron
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

hmm could be that then and Mr H does state pretensioner control box in centre console and looks a lot bigger according to theire picture (assuming out of a citroen...), c/l working fine.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Have you tried having a good sniff, Always found it a good way of narrowing down an area of burntness[:)]
A decent short can make an impressive pop.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rabenson</i>

Central locking control box is also in there and about that size
Ron
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
later models with pre-tensioners/airbags the C/locking control unit was moved to behind the dash to accomodate the airbag ECU,i'd say thats what the 'yellow box' is.if the pre-tensioners have been deployed then its likely that the airbag warning light will be on.
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

little box by handbrake is linked to pretensiors - tiny yellow sticker on the side hidden by handbrake lever which spotted now day light
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

About the airbag light being on. I have unplugged the pretensiors on mine while I was working on the seat & the light on the steering wheel airbag light comes on whith the ignition then goes out as per normal.
The CL control box have mainly yellow wire coming out of it if i remeber rightly