Possible leak??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

modi
My Cars:

Possible leak??

Post by modi »

my xantia's engine looks dirty, oil is seen clearly on many parts of it, but when watching any leak from bottom of the car, i could not find any at all, is that nromal??
something else, what about washing the engine?? using the hand car wash -high pressurised water- at many stations while the engine is on.., is that safe??
cheers.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The motor is safe to wash using degreaser (gunk etc) and then a garage jetwash, its probably safer to do this with the engine stopped (you dont want the turbo to ingest water droplets whilst spinning)
Stewart
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by modi</i>

what about washing the engine?? using the hand car wash -high pressurised water- at many stations while the engine is on.., is that safe??
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not much point in spraying water over the engine without using a degreaser first. I do my engine bays twice a year. Spray with gunk, then hose it off - covering the alternator first.
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

not sure where the alternator is.. do i need to cover any electrical part
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Find the pulley and belt on the end of the engine- the alternator is about 6 inces in diameter and about 8 inches long, and is driven by this belt. It has a big thick wire going to it and one thin one, and a pulley on the end and it has a fan looking thing between the body and pulley.
beezer

Post by beezer »

Voila monsieur!
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

great thanks for that gents