XM V6 water pump job so far

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

XM V6 water pump job so far

Post by citroenxm »

Hi Every one,
Just an update for anyone interested....
Firstly thankyou to those that helped with advice..
So I started the job yesterday, jiggled the top engine mount off, but had to remove the drive shaft out of the hub carrier to I could lift the engine up engough to remove the lower bolts. Then removed the water hoses as appropiate, and then removed the Water pump bolts, and managed to split the water pump in two at the joint, so I now have a faulty part in my hand and the rest on the car..
Now hopefully tomorrow I should find out if I can get JUST the impeller and pully housing to refit..
Not such a hard job after all..... Shall keep you informed for those interested. Maybe I should have done a picture show too. Possibly on reassemble..
Thankyou
citroenxm
XM V6 1991
Xantia TD SX 1994
beezer

Post by beezer »

Then, if we go by the cliche 'refitting is a reversal of removal', we can put your pictures in reverse order to find out how to remove. Or something like that...
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

. . or how one "unsplit"'s a water pump . . . should be interesting!
//NiSk
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Simply use what Citroen used, a gasket ....
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NiSk</i>

. . or how one "unsplit"'s a water pump . . . should be interesting!
//NiSk
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Just out of curiosity.
The V6 XM was the only one imported into Australia and I have heard two stories.
One is that it costs a kings ransom for a new water pump and the other is that they're as rare as rocckin' horse droppings.
Can you actually buy a repair kit and if so how much, from where and is there any websites that tell you how to redo them?
Reason I ask is that the brother of a good friend as well as another friend who both own them and both have weeping pumps have asked about this.
Alan S
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Isn't it the same pump as found on the Volvo and Renault versions of the PSA V6?
Shouldn't be too difficult to source in that case.
//NiSk
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

According to others, this isn't an option so I don't know whether the price is ridiculously high for them also or if they simply aren't interchangeable.
When I say high, I'm not talking a bit, I mean like I think a figure of around A$1200 has been mentioned.
Alan S
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Hi alanS
Um, yea the pumps are not interchangeable from Volvo, or renault BUT and a BIG BUT
After removing my impellar housing as it does spilt, a tip for your friends to check there pumps on the seaping side. There is what looks like a plastic plug behind the pulley!! beleve it or not and on my 12valve this plug had disintigrated!!! exposing the hole through to the housing so the seal on the pully shaft has NOT given up. I have sealed the hole back up with "chemical metal" and shall see if it still leaks!!!
I priced a pump up and its only sold COMPLETE, and it was £300 uk(GB) POUNDS YES £300!!!!
On that price I investigated and think I have found the "Common Fault".
Your friends will see this "plastic plug" from below the car, looking up at the pump from under the wheel arch..
Good luck
citreonxm!!
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

A lot of water pumps have a hole in the casting between the bearing assembly and the inner seal. The purpose of which is to:
1) make it apparent if the seal has started to leak.
2) prevent water entering the bearings and causing a disasterous failure (on engines such as most PSA with the water pump driven from the cambelt, a siezed or wonky water pump drive can cause the cambelt to cog over/break, with consequent dire results.
//NiSk
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Mmm could be worth it though, the V6 XM has Chain driven Cams, and the water pump is driven off the Crank pulley.
I consider it worth the risk as It cant do much harm to the improtant bits, apart from over heating...
Thankyou
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Can you feel if there is any play in the bearing assembly? If not you could try using a seal-improver in the cooling water - must be worth a try at £300 a go!
//NiSk
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Thanks for that Paul & co, I'll pass this info along and see if they have checked this.
I haven't seen a pump out of an XM yet as they tell me there's possibly only ever 200 imported but there's a chance we may be able to rebuild them if we can get a hold of one as I have a few friends who are well skilled in the engineering field.
Thanks again.
Alan S