xantia 1.9td sx estate fuel economy

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davecl

xantia 1.9td sx estate fuel economy

Post by davecl »

Hi
new here so sorry if this has been covered before.
i have a '96 xantia 1.9td sx estate and i've just checked the mpg by filling to the brim, driving my normal routine and then filling up again and i used 13.82 liters for 96.5 miles which if my maths are right is just over 31mpg. this is all town driving in short hops of less than 7 miles.
this seems low for a diesel to me, is it? and if so what should i be looking at to try and get a bit more economy?
thanks
Dave
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

Welcome! See http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=10961
The old XUD diesels were relatively efficient in their day - but won't match today's HDi's of course. The TD was designed in the late 80's. I wouldn't worry about mpg over such a short distance - because I've found "brim" varies a lot with brands of fuel. I find Tescos, for example, (while I've nothing against it), tends to foam more than others and gives a false "brim". If you then filled with another (inevitably less foamy) brand, you'd end up with more litres for your miles.
However maybe 31mpg isn't too far off for such town use.
For more economy - don't use the car for such short trips :) and the usual advice - maintain momentum by anticipating traffic, use the minimum amount of throttle, minimise use of accessories (esp. Aircon)!
This assumes the car is mechanically OK and the air filter is clean. The "italian tune-up" might help.
Simon
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

That's the trouble with Turbodiesels. Drive them like a petrol and they drink like one.
A good Xant will do about 38 driven sympathetically 34 is common. If it hasn't been done, change the oil and air filters together with the fuel filter. Put a pint of paraffin in when the tank gets to half full and thrash it for 100 miles. Refill as normal. Check your tyre pressures and if you are carrying a couple of spare engines in the boot, Leave them at home! Xantiae are heavy enough anyway!
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

i get about 39 out of my estate (with air con) and about 45 out of the hatchback without, i have used injector cleaner in the past and this has improved performance and economy
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

I have just given my 97 td Xant its annual bottle of cleaner, and have had decent results.
It wasn't one of the cheap ones it was about £14 from halfords (sorry can't remember the name) it was in a black triangular bottle in a large box. It seems to have worked well, mpg is up a bit and the engine has a nicer sound (less knocky)
Although I have to say It smoked a lot less when accelerating hard after running 12 litres of veg oil through it + lots of italian's[;)]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davecl</i>

if my maths are right is just over 31mpg.
Dave
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You should do much better than that. Mine is an SX estate but with a 2.1 in it and from fill to fill does 42mpg. Give it some new filters and a bottle of Redex/Miller's.
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

Is there any noticeable difference between the 1.9 and 2.1 TD both in terms of economy and performance?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The 2.1 TD (TD12) has twelve valves (2 inlets per cylinder) and is more efficient than the 1.9 TD.
//NiSk
davecl

Post by davecl »

thanks all, the filters have been changed recently, i'll try some injection cleaner and see if that helps.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

My Xantia estate averages around 44/45 mpg now that I have adjusted the fuel pump and turbo boost. When I first brought the Xantia it was pretty slow and needed a fair bit of right foot to get it going; the mpg then was around 40/41. Another cause of excessive consumption is the failing of the cold-start device - mine looses at around 4 mpg when this fails and keeps the pump in cold-start mode.
cerbera
My Cars:

Post by cerbera »

Hi, how did you adjust the boost/fuel on yours. Would be interested if its a reasonably easy job !
Cheers