caliper boot ,lhm leak?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

basil

caliper boot ,lhm leak?

Post by basil »

Today I replaced discs and pads on my Xan 1.9td.
On the drivers side I noticed a damp area on the rubber boot that goes over the back of the caliper(covers the handbrake mechanisum).When I removed the boot some fluid came out it was reddish/orange ,had slight oily feel/smell[xx(].Hopeing its water and whatever lube is used inside boot.If it is lhm where could it have come from and how to fix it[?]
thanks[8D]
________
Marijuana Strains
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If it is LHM, there will be more when holding down the brake pedal.
I doubt it though, as I've never seen a failure of the O-ring seal which could cause LHM back up in the handbrake mechanism.
LHM would also cause a different colour, more like dark/dirty green when mixed.
I've seen the grease used being red brakes grease from factory or recon work. Think it simply is this red grease and some water.
If it is water you better try clean it out, and then refill with some standard grease.
Check the rubber boot for detoration. It's available as spare.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The parking brake mechanism should be lubricatd with oil - either engine oil or gearbox oil. You can stick the nozzel of a standard pump oil can into the rubber boot down the side of the parking brake operating lever and pump in oil until you can feel it squishing about inside the boot. Standard BX and XM practice!
//NiSk