Xantia Drop Links

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

greggpask

Xantia Drop Links

Post by greggpask »

Can someone tell me the difference between "early and late" model droplinks, I recently had mine replaced and an annoying knocking noise is apparent when traversing over bumpy roads at low speeds. On inspection from underneath, i have small amount of movement when you give the antiroll bar a pull and a tug. Is this normal? Secondly the droplinks are of different shapes to each other, again is this normal? I have a gut feeling that because of the different types fitted, that they are affecting the roll bar,as the knocking seems to be only on the o/s beneath my feet? please any info greatly appreciated.
Xantia 1.9TDSX 1994 100,000 miles
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Early ones have 10mm threads, later ones have 12mm threads, as far as I know they are the same length.
Drop links are made by several manufacturers, some are total crap and last about a fortnight if you are unlucky.
The best ones to get (available from GSF) are made by Moog Chassis parts.
You need both wheels at the same height when looking for play in the drop links, i.e. either both wheels on the (level) ground, or both wheels off the ground.
Which way is the bar moving when you pull on it.
Dave
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The drop links should be identical. If one looks different from the other, then one isn't for a Xant! or it's been bent! In both cases it needs to be changed. Your '94 model should have 10mm threaded drop links - unless someone has drilled out the holes to fit 12 mm threads (which I have done on a friends '94 Xant). Both 10mm and 12mm drop links are otherwise identical (length, shape).
//NiSk
greggpask

Post by greggpask »

Thankyou for the infomation, Dave the movement in the rollbar at the links is small and occurrs when pulled downwards, with both wheels off the ground. I will change them for the ones you have recommended and see if it rectifies it. The difference between early and late is now understood.
Thanks to you both.
Gregg.