programming 2 1994 xantia keyfobs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sp
My Cars:

programming 2 1994 xantia keyfobs

Post by sp »

I have 2 keyfobs for my 1994 xantia, one has been working with the remote for ages but the other (older) one hasn't. One of the keys was made in 2000 and the other in 1994 (if that makes any difference - they look slightly different inside). I have found instructions on how to program them but when I program one key the other one stops working, is it possible to program them so that they both work?
This is how I have tried to program them:
1. Turn ignition on 1 click
2. point key at reciever in the roof
3. hold the lock button down for 5 secs
4. hold the deadlock button down 5 secs
5. turn off ignition
That makes the newly programmed key work, but the other one stops working.
I tried repeating steps 2-4 for the second key before turning the ignition off but it still only worked with the first key programmed. I have also tried holding both the keys up at the same time and programming them both at once, but still only one of them works.
reprogramming keyfobs seems to be asked quite a lot here :) but I haven't been able to find anything about getting 2 of them to work.
Thanks for any help
sp
My Cars:

Post by sp »

I finally got them both working after trying a few times every day for the last week :)
What I did was
- Remove the PCB from one of the keys so that I had a key to stick in the ignition
- unlock the car with the remote that works, get in, close the door, turn ignition one click with the disassembled key
- hold both the PCBs right up to the receiver in the roof
- hold down the lock button on both at the same time for 5 secs
- hold down the deadlock button on both at the same time for 5 secs
- turn off ignition
then, they both worked (which I didn't expect because I have already tried that method 10 times before :) )
It doesn't sound like the real way to do it, but seems to work if you get the timing right.
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

Will this work on my 1988 Xantia keys. I have one which works and one which doesn't
sp
My Cars:

Post by sp »

This probably doesn't work with the newer radio plips, look at http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=3320
near the bottom blueboy2001 posted how to program the plip for a 2001 Xsara, maybe it will work for yours too. If you search the forum you will probably find a few more suggestions. Have you checked that the battery is ok?